Epilogue, part 1

I dedicate this first part of the epilogue to JanetMcMillan2. Thank you so much. Look what you've done. I didn't know I've made outputs faster than I thought possible. LOL!

"Oh! Hi, Grandmere!" I waved a hand to a very beautiful old lady. Her white hair was set in a kind of a bun at her nape. She could have been a real beauty when she was young.

Ashton set up his laptop with a video camera so Grandmere and I could talk. The old lady was excited to see me.

"Hello, Princess! May I call you that? Ashton said he calls you that! And I see he's right, darling!" Her smile connected immediately to my heart.

"You really are both incorrigible, Grandmere! But, yeah . . . How could I say 'No' to you?" I feel I couldn't refuse this most amazing woman I just saw. Ashton just looks like her male version.

"Of course, you may darling, if you really feel you have to, then go ahead and say no!"

"Umm, okay! But I don't really mind you calling me Princess, Grandmere. Though I'm not and I don't feel like one, really!" I told her candidly.

"I think I was right! I already like you, Princess!"

I wanted to hide, however I only gave her my embarrased smile. "Thank you, Grandmere! And I like you too, you know!"

"Good! That makes two females in the family up against Ashton! And you are welcome to the family, Princess!" I felt her sincerity, it touched me.

"Thank you so much, Grandmere! I was hoping that you would, seeing that I'm wearing a most beautiful engagement ring!" I waved at her my hand.

"And I really like your ring, Grandmere! It's a real beauty, I guess you were so proud of it! It's my honor to wear it!"

"Who else would wear it, but Ashton's future bride!"

"Honestly? I didn't think I'd get engaged this soon! Ashton and I agreed on going slow . . . But now . . . I got an engagement ring on my finger, Grandmere. I just can't believe it!"

"You better believe it, darling! Fairy tales still do happen at this age and time! You only have to believe it!" Her eyes twinkled as she said it.

"Hello, Grandmere! I'm back!" Ashton said as he wound his arms about me!

"Where've you been, sweetheart? I was wondering why Andrea was just by herself.  Really, Ashton! Leaving your lady love all alone was a mortal sin in my days!"

"Really! But if you must know Grandmere . . . Jake, Ivan and Lizeth were already leaving. I saw them at the door."

"Oh, well! That's a valid enough reason! But I don't recommend it."

"Now, Ashton! I need to know when's the date?"

"Oh, Grandmere! I'd just proposed to
Andrea this evening . . . we haven't discussed anything that far yet." Ashton protested.

"Alright! This will have to do this evening. Your wedding is a priority. So I'll see you tomorrow morning. Ashton? I don't want to put pressure but, I hate to admit it that my days are numbered, darlings! So please make haste!"

The old lady was a formidable adversary, when it comes to that. Ashton could only sigh and got me into his embrace, kissing my forehead.

"We'll have to do as she bids, Princess! Or else, there'll be reckoning if we don't."

"As far as I'm concerned, got no problem with it."

We both looked at our best friends. Davey lay prone on one of the coaches not far away, with his eyes closed. Hyacinth and Angela were on their phones.

Sabbi was already in her bed fast asleep.

"Davey . . . !" Ashton called him.

"I know . . . I heard you . . . !" His eyes immediately opened as soon as he heard his name and sauntered over to us.

Ashton raised an eyebrow at him.

"Gus called me. He explained everything what Grandmere wanted on your wedding day. The only thing we need right now is the date."

Really! I was just amazed how Grandmere could work things out that fast! What an amazing woman!

"Now . . . since Grandmere said the wedding is to take place a month from today . . . I suggest that it falls on the seventh of October, that is next month!" Davey said putting out his cellphone's calendar app.

"It would be a Saturday! I hope everybody will have that day free for the wedding." Ashton said.

"Davey, I want to get married ASAP . . . but, in a month's time . . . I don't think that's possible! I'm a hotel man . . . and I know that bookings are made some months in advance, you know!" He added.

"That is why we need to know the date right now Ashton, Andrei for the bookings. We need to make the bookings for the church, the reception . . . well, for everything! And this is gonna be a short notice, so we just don't know if we can have things in so short a time . . . "

"How about it, Princess . . . what do you think?" Ashton turned to Andrei, throwing the question for her confirmation.

"It's Grandma's birthday . . ." She whispered.

"And mine too, Princess!" Ashton told me, his face going  enigmatic. His body seemed to go rigid suddenly.

"My twin, Anthony and my best friend, Margaux were on their way to go their wedding. But they met an accident before the reached the church. They died on the spot. They died on the 6th, a day before my birthday!" Ashton exhaled, his voice in a quiet agony.

I almost gasped at his revelation. Davey, who was usually the garrulous one switched himself into silent mode!

"I tried to drown myself into whatever that'd keep me forget about my birthday, driving myself crazy into work . . . after the accident . . . Yeah, I've forgotten about it . . . until today!"

"I'm sorry, hon!" The best move I could think of was hold Ashton's hands in mine tightly.

"I'm so sorry Ashton! It was a most unfortunate thing to happen. But well, as it is, I'm kind of glad it didn't happen on your birthday." Davey philosophically said.

"From now on, you'll be able to anticipate for your birthday. Your wedding day will have changed the sad element attached to it."

"Yeah! I might be able to tell about their story some other time. Not just now." Ashton gave out a heavy sigh.

"And my wedding date has fixed it, removing whatever negative attachment I've associated it with. And it's about time I get over it!" A small smile finally crept into Ashton's face.

"So . . . " Davey once again set the mode . . . and the mood on a more positive note.

"Then, the seventh of October, it shall be . . . !" I said, happy this time that I sensed Ashton's mood has improved a lot better now, as he gazed down at me with so much love and adoration in his eyes!

You couldn't fault me if I consented to our wedding day, the 7th of October!