Chapter 19 - tough times

"Nana! Nana! I think it's Ashton. He's here!" Grandmere hollered to Nana who was busy in the kitchen.

"I couldn't make out if it's his car or not, due to the dust. But I think it is his car. Don't you think so, Patsy?" Grandmere smiled at the Siamese cat who only answered her with what seemed like an excited meow.

"I know you're excited, Patsy! You've missed him too, right?"

Ming, another Siamese cat whose other eye has baby blue color, the other is kind of golden with blue flecks was perched in his usual place . . . at the upper post of the handrail going up to the verandah. Now too, he was vigorously wagging his tail, and meowing as well.

The two labradors, Mico and Rio were both whinning and wagging their tails excitedly and were now starting to make their barks sound like a welcoming party.

Although Ashton's car was still quite far, the two cats and the two labs seemed to have recognized it already.

It's been more than ten years since Ashton has come back at The Farm. He left it after the burial of Grandpere, of his Dad and Mom. He didn't even come for the funeral of his twin brother, Anthony and of Margaux.

After Grandpere's fatal stroke his health just went downhill requiring Grandmere's presence at his side day in and day out.

The Farm, as it had been fondly called by their neighbors was neclected in the process.

And Grandmere Lily was left with no other option but to sell her beloved farm animals. One by one, they had to go even if it broke her heart, especially her beloved horses. She had no more time to care for them.

Except for Mariella of course, her first horse. Mariella was Grandpere's birthday gift to grandmere. If the horse had to die, then Mariella will have to die at the farm, Grandmere decided.

The twins, Anthony and Ashton did their share and had to learn the ropes in their family business between school and taking care of their grandparents.

Their parents Martin Jr. and Marie took care of the Sterling Hotels, which was now fast gaining fame internationally. They managed between them and pouring out their singular time and effort towards its growth and expansion abroad, spending most of their time outside of London. It was Grandpere's most cherished dream and vision that Sterling Hotels will gain international access and global fame.

Then, one afternoon, Grandpere requested Grandmere to get his son Martin, Jr. and his wife Marie to the house, so with the twins.

Martin, Jr. and his wife Marie were at this time out of the country attending the inauguration of a new Sterling Hotel in Norway.

"Lily, are . . . they here?" Grandpere asked, his eyes spoke volumes as his eyes connected with Grandmere's. She tried to stay by his side since the old man seemed to be getting so weak.

"Honey . . . the twins are now here. But your son and daughter-in-law are in Norway at the moment, attending the inauguration of the latest hotel. I've updated you always, right? And you were also updated about Norway, okay?"

"We're here Grandpere!" Anthony said.

"Of course . . . " the old man whispered and gave Grandmere and the twins, a soft understanding smile.

"We got to talk to Dad . . . and they'll be taking the cessna for their flight home, Grandpere." Ashton announced.

"I want you two . . . to listen carefully. I know . . . my time is almost up. It won't be long now. Soon . . . I shall leave. And I trust that you boys . . . will take care of your grandmother . . . and your parents. When . . . the time comes, both of you . . . will have your hands full . . . due to the expansions. So, I want you Anthony . . . to take care of your Grandmere . . . hmm? And, The Farm, too. Help her put The Farm back. Next to me, it's her second love. Well, your Dad . . . and you two boys only came in later. You can't begrudge her that, okay?"

Of course, the boys knew their Grandpere's brand of humour, still it didn't help any.

"Ashton . . . you work side by side . . . your parents . . . in getting my vision . . . a reality. Keep in mind, these are different times. Tough times need tough men. You two know what that means . . . ?"

Ashton and Anthony could do nothing but just nod their heads, words were too much for them to make.

All this time Grandpere's eyes never left his wife's serene face, though . . . their hands intertwined.

"You know . . . that there's . . . only one woman for me . . . right?" Teary eyed, Grandpere's eyes still seemed to twinkle as the two looked at each other, enveloped in their own world.

And all that Grandmere did was silently absorb everything. She was just too emotionally overwrought, her tears falling down her face . . . not a sound from her lips.

" . . . . and . . . that . . . I love you?"

Grandmere nodded her head as she tried to give him her sweetest smile amidst her silent tears.

The twins maintained their stoic faces, watching their grandparent's loving interlude. They were the most loving couple they had ever known.

However, they couldn't keep their shoulders from moving with emotions that was now so foreign to them, twitnessing their grandfather shallow breathing at his deathbed.

The grand old man passed away without his only son and daughter-in-law around.

Only Grandmere, Anthony and Ashton were there listening to the final words of the dying man.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Hello there guys! Here's another update. I know it's a sad part. But please do keep on reading though. And  if  you find that you can't take much, please skip it.

Please leave some comments and . . . hopefully VOTE! I really, really need them, you know . . . !

Thank you so much . . . from the bottom of my heart! Love you guys!

Till next chapter . . . ?