Chapter 30 - 'surprise'

This chapter is for you ILoveMusic060803 for doing the cover of this story, 'The One'. Thank you girl! I've finally decided on it!

Ashton's POV

"Have you called Jake, Gus? I know there isn't much time to get the crew together and then have the jet ready.  But . . . I need to leave and be in Boston ASAP. I would like to get there as soon as they're ready. And, Gus. . .  cancel the meetings or move them to next week."

"It's done, boss. And yeah, I am just expecting Jake's call to come in anytime. But how about the Burnham and Burnham, boss?"

"Reschedule it, will you?"

"I 'll do it. Anyways, what's up, boss?"

"Sabbi, Andrea's sister was brought to the hospital for asthma and an allergy to something she ate. There were  complications but Sabbi's out of danger now."

"Oh, wait . . . was it only this morning that we were talking about a proposal?"

"Uh huh! Why is it?" I asked, smiling at the thought.

"Well, don't you think this is a good chance to do it, boss! It's more than enough reason than just a brief visit, right?"

I find myself smiling lately, and the anticipation took my heart hammering against my rib cage.

"Yeah! I might as well! Yeah, it's a good idea Gus."

"Don't forget to bring Grandmere's ring, boss!"

"Yes, of course! It's been right here with me . . . safe and sound."

Gus suddenly gave out a hearty, contagious laugh.

"Look at you Mr. Sterling, you're just one lucky bloke, I must say . . . Sir!"

"And, why is that Mr. Richmund???"

"Why not? If that one saying is good, it applies perfectly true to you, sir . . . "

"Ohhh . . . ?"

"Yeah, 'when it rains, it pours!' And you're having almost everything . . .poured down right down on a gold platter!"

"I can't be certain about everything Gus, but yeah! I can't help feeling so lucky . . . lately."

"And, I see happiness suits you, boss! Even the people downstairs are noticing it, you know. They've been asking the trending question about you. And there seems to be a very positive reaction down the rank and file."

"I don't wanna hear about it, Gus."  I ungraciously told him, just thinking about it was embarrassing enough.

"I'm truly glad for you, boss. Your employees are loyal to you, they love you and want you to find your one and true happiness."

Though I couldn't help getting tickled at the thought, I felt my smile was from ear to ear.

Listening to Gus' statement made my steps tread lighter these past few days, my heart so much alive!  It reminded me of Grandpere. 

The old man was close to his people.  He loved them and took care of them.  They in turn, showed their love back with their undying loyalty.

I tried to carry on his legacy the best way I could.  I know I wasn't the best CEO around the block, but I made  sure I gave the people of SIGoH nothing to complain about.  I'd seen to it that this was taken cared of.

"Boss?"

"Yes, Gus!"

"I just want you to know that I didn't think today, or whenever you shall find the right moment to give her that ring . . . would come, Boss. And, I'm seeing now, right before my own eyes how happiness has transformed you. That woman is so lucky to have you!"

"So am I, Gus! So am I! I think it is working both ways, Gus! You must know too, that I am just one lucky man to have found an Andrea Nicole in my life! She's so precious, I can't miss the chance to be with her!

"Yeah! Yeah!" Gus said dismisssingly.

"Excuse me, boss . . . I think it's Jake  . . . Hello, Jake. Right. I'll tell him. Okay."

I looked anxiously at Gus while he talked on the phone.

"All's set, boss. They're waiting for you. And Matthew is waiting at the lobby for some instructions."

"Oh, yeah . . . let him come up here, Gus."

"Alright."

"Do you think, the outfit was really necessary, Gus?"

I just felt uneasy wearing skinny jeans with an ill-fitting t-shirt and a motorcycle jacket with matching baseball cap and dark shades. Gus handed them to me when I told him about my plan to go back to Boston and my plan for a proposal.

"I think you must go there incognito, boss.  I just got the right outfit here for you. It was given to me last Christmas by a supplier. I found them too small for me and, really not to my taste."

"And you think they would be mine?"

"This isn't a matter of taste or fashion, you know!  This is necessity we're trying to address. If Andrea is who you've described her to be, then we need to shield her from undue exposure. Until she's ready, we'll do everything within our powers to protect her."

"Yes, thank you for thinking ahead, Gus."

"It was part of my job, alright! You've trained me well, boss."

He went down to purchase the other items to complete the ensemble.

"You'll thank me for having the foresight,  boss. The media and the paparazzi will have a field day when they get wind up of your presence in the United States.  A disguise is a must."

"Okay." I let out an exasperated sigh.

"Matthew's here." Gus told me as he went to the door.

"My bags are inside my office, Matt. Bring them down, will you?" I said.

"Yes, Sir!"

"Um, please go down ahead, Matt. I'll be there shortly!"

"Alright, Sir."

"Davey is already privy to my plan, Gus. Will you call ahead and make sure the surprise will proceed as set?" I turned to Gus to give him more instructions.

"Consider it done, boss."

"Thanks, Gus! I just feel lost right now, you know."

"Don't worry, everything will be fine. Now, let me get to work, boss! Your carriage has been waiting downstairs!" He said to me smiling.

"Right. Now, take care of the office while I'm away!"

"Sure do!"

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Here's hoping you'll find this new update enjoyable. Please VOTE, leave some comments or suggestions. Your support has really kept my energy going.

To ILoveMusic060803, thank you so much for doing the cover for 'The One'. This is your forte, and when it comes to things like covers you know what's good and what's not. So this chapter's for you,

Thankyou and thankyou so much.

God bless you all!

Till next chapter please, guys!

Ciao😄!