Chapter 7 - He smiled at Me

"What's eating you, my friend? You seem so antsy the whole evening!" The perceptive Arthur that I used to know was now trying to bait me. I was now having my dinner and he kept glancing my way.

"Uh, nothing really! Just some loose ends I'd forgotten to tie up before leaving London." I tried to appear casual.

My eyes darted to Andrea's table. She had just returned to her seat. I could feel a smile slowly working up my face, a smile of relief and satisfaction.

Arthur was my best friend in high school and he knows me quite well. He could be a pest if he can sense something out of the ordinary.

"Really Ashton! But why the hell do I sense something is distracting you, my friend? Is there anything you're not telling me? I know Arthur does not know limits. Yeah. He's a jackass!

"Back off bro! May be I'm just feeling my age." I almost gagged at my alibi.

And I really had a long, busy week . . . and then this trip."

"Bwahahaha! Arthur guffawed  out aloud. "Oh, man . . . now you're admitting you're getting old!"

"I'm glad I've made you happy, huh." It gave me some comfort that I've diverted the attention of my friend this time.

"So, what time is your flight tomorrow Ashton?" Arthur went on.

"I got the jet at the airport. I can leave anytime." I can't let Arthur know about Andrea. Not right now when I myself am not certain about how things would proceed between us.

I was fidgetting with my phone awaiting for the number I asked from Gus. Then its screen flashed.

I looked at Arthur who was busy talking to a guest on his left. I immediately opened my phone and smiled. My eyes sought right away Andrea in her table.

I saw her getting ready with two of the girls and a guy.

I couldn't help my temper rising. But I held myself in check. I just cannot let my emotions get the better of me. My eyes followed their movements.

On second glance I realized the man was gay. I tried to hide the smile that was slowly forming in my face.

This really got me flabbergasted! Me? Smiling?

Then Andrea turned around and retraced her steps. I saw her reached out to something from the table. For a moment her eyes flew to me and she froze. I held her gaze . . . and I smiled at her.

My heart stopped as I awaited for her reaction. She didn't exactly smile. But I saw her eyes twinkled, her whole face lightened up. I felt elated. I couldn't ask for more.

Her eyes fell before she turned around.

"I need to go best friend. I want an early night." I said to Arthur.

"The night is still young Ashton. Why don't you stay up? Do you have to leave so early?"

"Yes, but you stay and keep the other guests company." I told my friend.

"Well if you must, I shall have to stay behind."

"Good night, friend. See you." We stood up and hugged, the gentleman's way.

Andrei's POV

"Wait, I think I left something. I won't be a minute." I told my best friends as I turned around to go back to our table.

I saw the copy of my program not far away from my seat. I reached out to retrieve it. Then I felt someone was watching me. I lifted my eyes and saw Mr. Sterling in his table looking at me, his gaze stunned me momentarily. My eyes just couldn't look away. Then he smiled . . . at me! I felt he was waiting for me to smile back. I just felt so shy, but I knew that he saw the smile in my eyes.

===============================================

Hello! Thanks a lot for having read this far. I hope you have enjoyed it. If you haven't, thank you anyways.

Please do vote by clicking the star 🌟below, and or/support it.

I would appreciate it if you write some comments and suggestions.

Thank you and God bless you all!

Till next chapter . . . ok👍?

Loveya all!