[10] - House of Discovery

*Unedited* 

-------------------------------------------------------

Camilla wasn't fully awake (like most mornings) as Nina told her all about the key. In fact, she only seemed to wake up halfway through breakfast as Trudy asked if anyone wanted more eggs and Patricia laughed loudly, eagerly wishing to tell Trudy about the gossip from the night before. "Did you hear about Victor? He fell down the stairs last night and broke his leg!" As Alfie and Jerome laughed, Camilla shot a small knowing smile to Nina, who returned it. They knew why he fell and were somewhat relieved he did, or they would be in so much trouble that morning.

"Don't exaggerate Patricia", Trudy kindly said,

"Eggz-aggerate, nice one Trudes!" Alfie spoke up.

"Terrible Yoke Alfie", Jerome added, causing another round of laughs from the kids at the table.

"It's a sprained ankle, that's all," Trudy informed them all, just as Victor quietly entered the room declaring.

"A very painful sprained ankle," Victor's presence caused them all to quieten down and look at their plates.

"Victor, how do you do that? And with a limp too," Trudy asked, a little flustered, but it was clear the man was not listening as he limped further into the room.

"Someone sabotaged that floorboard on purpose," he told the room, causing both Rutter twins and Nina to look down at their food as if it was the most fascinating thing on the planet.

"Oh no." Trudy said in disagreement, "that floorboards have been like that for ages. I remember telling you about it last year" with that, she exited through to the kitchen.

"Yeah, that's right", Fabian butted in, and Camilla bit her lip, hoping her brother wouldn't put his foot in his mouth and give the game away, "I've tripped over it myself a few times."

This caused a round of murmurs and agreements within the house as everyone pipped in to say if they had or had not tripped over the floorboard.

"Someone is up to something," Victor told them, and Camilla dramatically rolled her eyes, causing Jerome to snigger. Everyone was up to something in the house, just not to the extreme that Victor seemed to be suggesting, "and I intend to find out what it is, and who" Camilla could feel Victor's eyes on her, probably because she rolled her eyes at his proclamation. She turned and smiled sweetly up at him. Victor observed the girl before turning and walking out of the room.

"Well, what a dramatic breakfast", Camilla said aloud, breaking the silence and causing everyone to laugh once again.

Fabian, Nina, and Camilla waited until they got into school before they discussed what had happened the night before (and everything at breakfast). Both twins were paranoid about who could be listening in for Victor and hoping the corridors' bustle was enough of a noise so no one could overhear them.

"Victor is onto us," Fabian said as the trio walked to class, the twins flanking Nina, "and I don't think we should go up to the attic again for a while."

"We have to!" Nina told him, "that key opens something, and I want to know what it is."

"You know, for someone so sweet and polite, you're quite the risk-taker" Camilla couldn't help but feel she was intruding on a 'Fabina' moment and decided to fall back a little, enough so she could hear but enough to give the couple their own space.

"Only when it's worth the risk."

"Victor knows the Attic key is missing," Camilla commented from behind them, causing the two to look round at her with strange looks, "I heard him talking to Trudy last night", she expanded with a shrug.