eighteen

tyler woke up in the guest bed brendon had him sleep in. after lots of persuading, he finally just agreed to staying with him. it couldn't be that bad.

he forced himself out of bed, despite how comfortable and warm it was. he dug through his bag, changing his socks and deciding the rest of him was clean enough. he had no motivation to change the rest of his clothes.

he stumbled around the house, using his nose to follow the scent of bacon cooking from in the kitchen. he entered, watching brendon sing to himself while swaying his hips back and forth. what a dork.

"ahem," he cleared his throat.

brendon screamed, which made tyler also scream.

"what the fuck!" tyler glared at him.

"you scared me!"

"well you scared me!"

"you're the one that snuck up on me!"

"you're the one that screamed!"

"oh god, listen to us. we're already arguing like a married couple."

"gross."

"are you hungry?" brendon asked, changing the topic.

"no."

"dude, that's some bullshit."

"no it's not."

"you look like you haven't even seen a piece of food in months."

tyler sighed. this guy was so annoying. normally, if josh were to say something like that, tyler would feel heart broken. with brendon, he just wanted to tell him to shut up.

"well i don't even like bacon."

"what's wrong with you? did you get dropped on your head as a child?"

tyler surprised himself with the loud laugh that erupted out of him. he hadn't laughed that loud in a while.

"no! it's just gross. but i do like pancakes, i think," he admitted, watching brendon flipping some in a pan.

"you think?"

"i haven't had them in forever."

"too personal to ask why?"

"yes."

"well they're chocolate chip. do you like chocolate?"

chocolate reminded him of josh's eyes...

he fucking loved chocolate.

"yeah," he said simply.

"do you like orange juice?"

"i don't think so. i don't really like breakfast drinks. milk, juice... it's all gross."

"what the hell? we can't be friends, i'm sorry. this isn't gonna work."

"shut up," tyler smiled, taking a seat at the island in the middle of the kitchen.

he was surprised with how comfortable he felt around brendon. he didn't take every joke he made to heart. he enjoyed the man's company. so far, he proved to be a better friend than josh and he hadn't even known him for a full day. maybe that was just because tyler wasn't in love with him.

"listen, tyler. i work from 10-5 on weekdays so that'll leave lunch up to you. i'll make breakfast and dinner."

"what time is it now?"

"8:30, i have to leave in an hour."

"how old are you?"

"21."

"do you drink?" tyler cringed.

"yeah occasionally, but if you're uncomfortable with that i'll make sure to keep it away from you."

"okay, thanks."

"no need to thank me. you not 21 yet?"

"i'm only 17 but my birthday is soon," tyler admitted, adverting his eyes to his lap. he started worrying that brendon would kick him out for not even being an "adult" yet. he worried brendon would take him to the police and have him sent home. he'd rather die than go home.

"damn, don't you have school?"

"school's stupid."

"what about your family?"

"that's funny."

"getting too personal?"

"yeah."

"sorry."

the conversation was dropped just like that. brendon didn't push tyler. he wasn't mad at tyler. the small boy was instantly relieved.

brendon took the seat next to tyler, both of them diving into the fluffy pancakes brendon cooked up. tyler hadn't tasted anything so yummy in a long time.

"these are so good," he spoke, mouth full of food.

brendon laughed. "thanks, i tried extra hard for you. gotta lure you in with my wonderful cooking skills to fatten you up."

tyler's lips curled up in a smile. "you're so weird."

__a/n__

wow a longish chapter??? what a nice surprise

also if anyone is interested in reading more lighthearted joshler i published a new fanfic called mr. dun and y'all should go check it out ok thanks and i'll stop bugging you now