twenty-six

on saturday, brendon wanted to take tyler out for lunch. they went to taco bell, at tyler's request. they ordered a taco twelve pack to split and save whatever they didn't eat for dinner.

"why'd you pick here?" brendon asked as they took a seat in the corner.

tyler shrugged. he wasn't supposed to talk about josh.

"when's your birthday again?" brendon quickly changed the topic.

"december first."

"cool, mines april twelfth."

josh's is june eighteenth.

tyler groaned internally. who cares when josh's birthday is?

"what do you want for your birthday?" brendon asked.

"nothing, i don't need anything. living with you is a gift itself."

"wow, thanks man. that made me feel really good."

tyler smiled, going quiet as he started eating. he couldn't get his mind off josh. he wished he could be here so brendon would see that he really wasn't a bad guy.

"you good t?"

"yeah, why?"

"you look upset."

tyler shook his head.

"what's wrong?"

"i'm not supposed to bring him up."

brendon sighed. he stretched his arm across the table, taking the brunette's small, cold hand in his own.

"if it'll help you to talk about it, then do it."

"i just miss him..."

"did you guys use to go to taco bell?"

tyler nodded.

"oh."

the conversation fell dead, brendon unsure of what else to say, so he just continued eating. tyler had stopped.

"come on, t, don't let him ruin your appetite."

"i can't eat when i'm sad."

"yes you can, you just don't want to."

"you're annoying!" tyler huffed, unable to hold in a smile knowing brendon was right.

"only cuz i'm right! see? you're even smiling."

tyler's face fell serious before he involuntarily smiled again, resulting in the two of them laughing.

"i like hanging out with you," brendon laughed.

"me too. you make me forget things."

"is that bad?" brendon questioned.

"no, it's good. i'm, like, a different person with you. i'm happy."

"i'm glad i make you happy," the older grinned, winking at the brunette.

"you're weird."

"but you like it."

"eh," tyler shrugged, laughing when brendon gasped as if his feelings were hurt.

"i'm kidding!"

"you better be," brendon said sassily, wiggling his index finger back and forth.

after tyler had eaten two tacos and brendon three, they announced they were full.

they headed home.

home.

it sounded so weird to tyler. he never really had a home before, just a house. his house in columbus was in no way a home. home was where he felt safe, where he was happy.

brendon was home.

home wasn't just 4 walls and a roof, it was two eyes and a heartbeat. tyler had never felt more at home than when he was with brendon. it was something he never felt with josh.

the brunette glanced up at the older, tearing his eyes away from the episode of south park they were watching.

he had the sudden urge to come clean, tell brendon how he really felt about him. but every time he tried to talk, a lump would form in his throat. maybe it was best to just keep quiet.

"what?" brendon interrupted his thoughts.

"huh?"

"you're staring at me."

"no i'm not!" the brunette lied, eyes instantly adverting to the tv.

"yes you were."

"whatever," he muttered.

"hey, t, how're you feeling?" brendon asked out-of-the-blue.

"what do you mean?"

"well what was the first thing that popped in your head when i asked?"

tyler turned his head back to look at the older, their eyes meeting as he spoke.

"that i feel like i'm home."