thirty-one

(start the song)

tyler snuck out of brendon's grip, placing a goodbye kiss on his temple. he wrote a little note simply saying, "i'll be back. promise. love, t."

he brought his backpack with him as he exited through the front door. his heart felt so heavy. he knew what he was doing was going to hurt brendon. but he would be back. he had to see josh one last time.

he took the bus back home. he walked from the bus stop to josh's, seeing the whole house dark. everybody was sleeping, considering it was two am.

he picked up a pebble, tossing it up to josh's window.

no answer.

he tried again.

nothing.

again.

a light flicked on.

again.

josh opened the window.

"let me in," tyler spoke quietly.

"tyler?" josh looked so happy to see him. tyler's heart fluttered. this was going to be so hard.

"unlock the front door."

josh nodded, leaving to go do just that. as soon as the door opened, tyler attacked him in a tight hug.

"i missed you so much," he whispered, breathing in josh's familiar scent that he longed for.

"i missed you too, come in. it's freezing."

the two tiptoed up to josh's room, quietly shutting the door.

"i'm glad you're here."

"i shouldn't be," tyler admitted.

"where have you been?"

"with... this guy i met."

was brendon his boyfriend? they never really established that. he sure seemed like a boyfriend.

"who?"

"brendon. he's my... boyfriend."

"boyfriend?" josh frowned.

"yeah. i love him."

"what about me?"

"don't, josh."

"no, ty, what about me?"

"you don't get to do that."

"do what?"

"try and get me to stay here. i'm not staying."

"i need you."

as much as it hurt tyler, he shook his head.

"you don't. so much has changed, josh. we don't need each other."

"i love you, though."

"you don't know what love is."

"what?"

"you don't know what love is," tyler repeated, feeling anger start to bubble inside his chest.

"what's your problem?"

"my problem, josh? my problem is i was so in love with you and you broke me. you. you were all i had. wanna know why i hurt myself? you. all because you "loved" some bitch that cheated on you. you don't ditch people you love."

"ty... i'm so sorry..."

"stop already. this is pathetic. i'm over you. you lost somebody that really loved you."

before he came here, tyler thought he wouldn't be able to leave josh. but seeing the redhead again made tyler realize something.

he truly did not need him.

brendon was far better in comparison. this town was full of horrible memories and toxic air. tyler didn't deserve that. he knew he didn't.

as much as it hurt him, he had to say goodbye. he still had a place for josh in his heart, because can you ever really get over your first love? tyler decided he was going to, no matter how long it took.

he would get over josh.

"bye, josh."

"please don't do this..."

"you'll be fine, i know you will. i'm sure this hurts me more than it hurts you but it's time to say goodbye."

"why're you being like this?"

"because i met a man that truly loves me and taught me that i deserve better."

"i loved you..."

"bye, josh. see you around sometime, maybe."

with that, tyler left. he started the journey back to the bus station, his little trip not taking as long as he expected.

if he was lucky, he would make it back before brendon even woke up.

but, ladies and gentlemen, let's remember this.

this is real life.

nothing good lasts forever.

a hand closed around tyler's mouth, stopping him in his tracks. he struggled against the person, not able to see who they were. he worried it was josh, but could smell how intoxicated the man was.

it reminded him of his father.