ᵗʰʳᵉᵉ

The big day came sooner than she would like. That morning, she woke up earlier than she deem fit, glammed up more than she thinks necessary, and put on more make up than she owned.

She attempted to make herself look decent, to make it look like she didn't just come out of a shit hole, her hair too tangled to comb through, and her clothes too ragged to be cleaned.

Brooklyn gave herself one last longing look in the mirror, before entering the cab she had hailed a few minutes before.

"Woods Inc.?"

"Yep."

The drive there was faster than she would like. Before she could talk herself out of it, she was already in front of the skyscraper. She paid the driver and went in.

The lobby was as lavish as she remembered, the big spacious room, the waiting couches that looks like it costs more than her house plus furniture combined, and the granite walls that seems like it gets polished everyday.

She went to the elevator and pressed the floor that she went to the other day, already remembering it by heart. Considering her heart nearly popped out of the chest while she waited for the elevator to ding that day, it's not that easy to forget.

When it finally reached the desired floor, she tentatively stepped out of the confined space into the beautiful room. The secretary was at her desk talking on her phone. Brooklyn waited for a moment, hoping to get her attention, but it seemed like she was in no hurry to end the phone call.

"Hey, excuse me," she called.

The receptionist must be deaf, because she didn't respond. Not when she called her, and certainly not when Brooklyn started knocking loudly on her desk.

"Monica," a loud voice boomed, "what is all the commotion out there," the wooden door behind her burst open and an angry looking Mr Woods came fuming out. Monica had a surprised look in her eyes when she slammed her phone down. She opened her mouth to explain the situation, but Mr Woods does not want anything to do with it. "Next time I see that and you're out. Do you understand me?"

"Yes, Sir," she squeaked.

If the situation wasn't so serious, Brooklyn would've laughed. Until his eyes zeroed in on hers. She froze. "You. Come with me."

She followed him into his office. He pointed to a closed door not far away. "That is an adjoining room, it is where you will work. As a PA, you will help me with task management, running errands and sometimes you will have to take my place in meetings when I cannot attend. Is that clear."

Damn it. Why does he have to be so intimidating.

"Yes."

"I'm your boss, and I expect to be treated with respect."

So he had a stick shoved up his ass. Fine. Two can play this game. "Yes, Sir."

"Come here." He walked towards his desk and lifted a thin stack of papers. "This is your contract. Usually I allow my employees to make certain changes, but I don't suppose you hoped for that privilege. You can read it before you sign, but that would just be a waste of time."

"It's no problem. Do you have a pen, Sir?" she asked. Mr Woods silently picked up a pen from his desk and handed it to her. She signed the documents and placed it back neatly on the desk.

He flipped through the pages, checking if everything is in order. "Now that that's settled, leave," he said without any emotion. Brooklyn rolled her eyes and his obvious rudeness towards her. "That better not be an eye roll, because I will punish you the next time I see it."