ᵗʰᶤʳᵗʸ ᵗʰʳᵉᵉ

"Jess," Brooklyn called her friend that was chilling on one of the beds in the server's quarters. She was on her back and she was holding her phone above her head.

Brooklyn feared that the device would fall on Jessica's face. Having been a victim to it quite a few times before, she was well acquainted with the pain that comes if it does happen. 

Jessica was so engrossed of her phone she didn't realize her name was being called, and only when Brooklyn shook her arm, she awoken from her daydream and simultaneously the phone fell on her face.

Wincing, Brooklyn put the device aside and muttered a quick "sorry", which was returned with a wave of a hand.

"I should be sorry," Jessica said, rubbing her nose, "didn't hear you come in. Must've been a trouble calling me, I presume. Everyone at home told me so."

"Damn right it is. You were literally deaf."

"So I've been told. I get into weird zones when I'm on my phone."

Brooklyn chuckle, "I can tell. Nothing goes in, and nothing comes one. You're there but you're somewhere else."

"Exactly," she nodded, sitting up and crossing her legs. "So...what brings you here, bestie."

"I was wondering if you'd like you catch a movie today. There's a new horror movie on screen and I don't want to be alone when I watch it."

Jessica rolled her eyes dramatically, "no, I hate horror, you know that. Always getting a kick out of seeing me shit my pants when you do force me to watch." She leaned back and leisurely closed her eyes, "call your boyfriend, he'll be a better candidate to be holding your hand. And at least he can bear having you squeeze the life out of it... That was a metaphor, you don't get scared."

"You love me anyway," Brooklyn retorted, sticking her tongue out. "But no, I don't want to watch it with Asher, I want to reopen old memories with you. Admit it, you secretly like our horror movie nights."

"Tell me what are you high on because surely you're not so delusional," she scoffed, "I hated those nights, couldn't sleep for days after that."

"Really," Brooklyn asked, eyeing her suspiciously, "you never told me that."

"That's because I didn't want to burst your bubble. What kind of bestfriend am I if I don't support me bestie, right?" she spoke nonchalantly, getting up from her laid back position, "what are you waiting for, go change!"

"You're joking, right? After everything you told me you think I'll just let you waltz into another horror movie? Think again, Jess."

"Don't worry about it," came her brave reply, "I haven't had the trauma in years, maybe I grew out of it. Besides, like you said, let's hit memory lane."

"You sure?"

"Haven't been more sure in my life," she smirked.

•••

Hands tightly clutching the armrest, Jessica was curled up in a ball, shaking uncontrollably from fear. Brooklyn remained stoic beside her, silently offering moral support but was too sucked in by the scene to actually care.

It's the suspense that gets her blood running in a horror. There are so many jump scares at unexpected moments it gives her a sense of thrill and danger.

The upbeat tempo goes to a dramatic high, and then it stopped. Nothing. One, two, three, four, five, six, sev- A creature with a disgruntled face, dead bottomless eyes and dirty black teeth came crashing out of the solid wall, and the three little kids jumped back due to the shock.