ᵗʰᶤʳᵗʸ ˢᵉᵛᵉᶰ

"Hey, Brooklyn, I'm gonna go check on that Hunter douchebag before we head to bed, okay. See if he's comfortable enough on my floor," Asher said to her as they were walking through the foyer to the flight of stairs.

"Yeah, sure," she nodded, heading for the opposite direction. "Don't be too long, I need you to sleep."

"Yes, your highness," he mocked a bow that sent her into fits of giggles. She lightly brushed her lips over his cheeks before making her exit.

Turning down the hallway, her fingers skimmed a trail on the side of the wall as she moved forward, creating an invisible line that only she knew was there. She smiled when she thought of Asher, how he was so attentive and he seemed to want to know everything there is to know about her. From her childhood to how she ended up here, even though he already knew most of it, having been together for a few weeks now.

She entered their room and immediately went to their walk-in closet, where she picked out a conservative but comfortable nightie to sleep in, in case he tries something funny, but she doubt he's going to do anything like that.

Going into the shower, she stripped her clothes and her muscles calmed when the hot water hit them, earning a moan from her. She cleaned herself up but when she was washing her hair, her thoughts went to Asher again, where he once helped massage the shampoo into her hair, patient and gentle, afraid that he would tug too hard and accidentally hurt her scalp.

A small smile etched itself across her face as she finished washing herself. She took a fresh towel to dry up, pulled the nightie on, and went to bed, counting the minutes until Asher comes back.

Which was odd, because he should've been back by now. Brooklyn takes quite a long time in the shower and if usual circumstances were applied, he'd be joining her in the middle of it. She grew curious, face scrunched in thought, where is he?

Pushing the duvet aside, she slipped on a robe and some slippers, and headed in the direction of his office. The turns seemed endless and when she finally reached, she saw that once again, the door was open. That can only mean one thing, he's still in there.

Curiously, she peeked in, only seeing Asher sitting on his desk with a thunderous expression on his face. "Brooklyn speaks so highly of you, and you stabbed her in the back," he all but growled, glaring at someone beyond the view of the small gap.

Speaks highly of who? Hunter?, was her conflicted thoughts. Or was there another person.

She internally chastised herself to shut the hell up and listen. There was a cackle, a female cackle. Who. She searched her memory but realized she didn't have to, because she already knew.

Jessica.

What is she doing in there, she asked herself, needing more explanation now than ever. She was very confused, and so conflicted that she cannot for the life of her understand what was happening.

"I know," Jessica said, confirming her suspicion once and for all, "that stupid, naïve girl thought I'd actually want to be friends with her again. That was actually why this was so easy. What a fool."

It went straight to her heart and she felt tears prickling the corners. Her breath became short and she hard a hard time getting enough oxygen, it was like someone blocked her throat. She listened.

"Don't talk about Brooklyn like that!" Asher yelled, banging his fist on the table, and she saw how tight he was clenching it.

"Oh right, you're smitten with that bitch, how can I forget," came her snarky voice that only fueled the slap that Brooklyn was itching to give. "Why don't you call her down and we can all have a proper chat."