ᵗʰᶤʳᵗʸ ᵉᶤᵍʰᵗ

Asher's chest was bare as Brooklyn laid snugly on him. He fastened his arms securely around her waist and making sure there wasn't any space between them, but at the same time careful not to cross her boundaries.

She was very quiet, like she was dead to the world but her harsh breaths says otherwise, and her body was as stiff as a board, like she couldn't soothe her muscles.

"Brooklyn," he called softly, playing with her hair, "baby, you need to relax so you can get some sleep. We can worry about them another time, okay?"

She remained silent but he knew she haven't slept. There was nothing more he wanted to do than take away her problems and make it his own just so he doesn't have to see her drowning herself in guilt like this.

She didn't know, it wasn't her fault.

He wanted to massage her shoulders to loosens her muscles so that it'll be less tensed up and at the same time it may help her compose herself. But she was lying down and to give her a massage she would need to get up, and he doesn't think that was what she wanted right now.

Sighing, he didn't know what to do anymore, being out of options. Maybe he can just dispose the both of them, then at least they won't be in her conscience, guilt tripping her in the long run. They will be dealt with but that would also arise questions in her, which was also bad.

He kissed the side of her head to show her that she wasn't alone in this. She needed to know that whatever happens, he would be right beside her, giving her support all the way. Taking her hand that was placed on his chest, he intertwined his fingers with hers, giving it a comforting squeeze after that.

"Do you want to know how I became who I am now, what moulded me into the man I am?" he asked softly, careful not to speak too loud in case she had fallen asleep somewhere in between. He didn't wait for her reply. "My 'rents are very strict, they are always telling me how to do things and which school was prestigious enough for me to go, it's always up to them. Me, being cornered, had no choice but to follow what they say. Unless I wanted to be kicked out of my own house.

"As a kid, I didn't really think about it, but as I grew older and I started seeing things in a different light, things became clearer, as did their intentions. I pride myself in being strict smart, but even though my dad was the one who thought me that, he also thought me to think for myself. I did, and I realized just how far deep I'm in on their ploy.

"Eventually, I got tired of the endless expectations. I packed my bags and left willingly. I had some money saved up, but the rest was taken back by my dad after I walked out. At first, it hurt that they never even tried to call me back, at least show that I'm more than just a puppet to them, it never happened. But I learned to deal with it, and now, look at me, I have an empire of my own. And I achieved all of this without the help of anyone," he said modestly.

"What I'm trying to say is, Brooklyn, that even though people are not what you expect them to be, and you feel betrayed and hurt, life goes on and you have get back on your feet, work hard and with enough dedication, you won't need them anymore.

"Even though they were a big part of your life, you don't stop everything just because of it. Sooner or later, you will realize that they don't have that much control over you than you think. No one can have the strings to your actions other than yourself, you're your own biggest competitor."

Brooklyn didn't move, and Asher thought that she had indeed fell asleep as he was droning on and on about things she didn't care about. Until she said, "you're wrong."

His brows furrowed and he asked. "What do you mean."

"When you said that no one can have that much control over me, you're wrong," she answered, looking up into his eyes that were already fixated on her, "you are one good example. You stole me from myself, heart and body. I cannot see myself a day without you by my side and honestly, that scares the hell out of me. It's like I can't- don't want to lose you, ever."

Grinning, he said, "you're one to talk," he rested his cheek on the top of her head, closing his eyes as if reminiscing. "Remember when you said you would leave that day, when I pissed you off?" she nodded, "I couldn't stand it, the thought of not having you around mentally hurts. You had me wrapped around your finger and you don't even know it, if you're aren't by my side I don't know what I'd do."

"I love you," she whispered, although she was positive he heard her.

"Love you too, baby."

She had to smile when she heard the endearment again. Even though it had barely been a day since shit hit the fan, so many things happened and it led to her being furious at him. She made him question himself and they went on their first date again. They got swarmed by the media who waited outside as they enjoyed their meal together, spending it like they know nothing concerning each other.

Fate decided to come out and play when she found out Jessica's true identity, they had their argument that resulted in Brooklyn being in a bad mood. Jessica and Hunter was stuck in Asher's office, not having allowed to leave until further notice.

Today was a rollercoaster ride and she wasn't particularly fond of them. The ups and downs and sudden sharp turns was a nightmare for her stomach but she managed to hold her puke this time round.

Finding comfort in Asher's warm chest, she literally covered him with her body. It was rather distracting for him, having a body with splendid curves touching him all over, but he knew he had to hold the urges.

She placed a lone kiss on his chest before closing her eyes, sighing deeply and finally relaxed into his welcoming embrace. His arms wound tightly around her small body, and he vowed to himself that he would always put her needs before his, and would do anything in his power to ensure her safety all the time.

Because let's be honest, he couldn't bear the thought of her having any injuries, let alone being in danger or threatened. But if it ever limit to that, the person that done it better watch their back, because he was going to hunt them down, and when that time comes, it'll be enemies and he won't hesitate to dispose them.

When it comes to a certain woman named Brooklyn Reid, he knows no boundaries.

____________________

As much as I love my babies (characters), a story still must come to an end and this is just a heads up, but it's COMING SOON.

Also, if you've ever read Storm and Silence by RobThier, I've got to say I like Ambrose's personality more 😂 than Asher (#sorrynotsorryAsh) I tried to give Asher that cold and calculating trait but it didn't work out (there's a small part of it in chapter 1). So yeah, he transformed from that into the loving and cuddly Asher 💕