ᵗʷᵉᶰᵗʸ ᵒᶰᵉ

"JESS!" Brooklyn yelled, and the voice echoed throughout the hall so loudly the whole mansion must've heard it, but that was still no response. "JESSICA, WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU. I SWEAR TO EVERYTHING HOLY I WILL PUNCH THE SHIT OUT OF YOU IF YOU DON'T APPEAR IN THE NEXT THREE SECONDS. ONE. TWO. Oh, there you are."

Jessica was out of breath like she just ran across the whole damn bloody state, and looking at the size of the mansion, it was possible. "Calm your tits, woman. A girl just can't get some peace taking a shit around here."

"You were pooping?" Brooklyn asked, pulling a face. "Okay, I didn't need to know that but just for future reference, okay, there's a toilet right there," she pointed to a closed door that was left that way for hygienic purposes.

Her eyes went to the back of her eye sockets. "I was speaking metaphorically, dumbass."

"And I was just keeping you informed of all the facilities this house has to offer. Come on," Brooklyn made a gesture for Jessica to follow her, "let me show you your room."

"It's not going to be over the top, right?" she asked as they - well, Jessica - walked carefully to prevent hitting any of the expensive items decorating the hallway.

"Honestly? I would probably have to ask him but if you want, you probably could make changes to your room to adjust to your taste buds," she suggested. "You can choose the room too."

"Sweet. Please give me the smallest room and the one furthest away from your quarters."

Brooklyn groaned. "Seriously? I thought we were over this. You won't disturb anything we do."

"It's not you I'm worrying about, stupid, it's me," she said, emphasising her words in case a certain someone doesn't understand. "I don't want my ears to bleed to death every night, you know, thank you very much."

Finally, it dawned on Brooklyn as to what she was implying and immediately after that, a tomato was born. She grew so red it would've put the healthiest tomato to shame.

"After so, so long, my dear friend, you finally caught on. Congratulations. I'll ring a bell for you but as you can see, I'm empty handed," she wagged her hands around to prove her point. "Now can you please bring me to the room that most fits the criteria? Thank you," she added at the back when Brooklyn lead the way.

Quietly, she studded around the marble flooring towards the less majestic part of the mansion. Even though it was still under the same roof, the design reduced significantly and the liveliness dimmed as well.

Brooklyn had guided her to the part of the house where the help stays. "Welcome to the servant's quarters," she gestured around, "please, choose a bed."

"No way," Jessica said while she looked around the place, "this is amazing! I've never seen a place like this before."

"Well, neither have I until today," Brooklyn chastised, glancing around too. It would have been a blessing to just stay here instead of going home every day last time, would've safed her from a lot of heartaches. "You sure here's good? The bedroom offer always stands."

"I'll be fine," Jessica sang as she fell onto a bed, moaning at its softness. "You better not be screaming so loud I can hear it from here, Brooklyn. Don't scar me from a wound too deep to heal."

"I'll try?"

"Not good enough but I'll take it."

"Smart ass," Brooklyn muttered. "Dinner will be ready at around eight. Go to the dining room yourself, I'm not coming to fetch you with a pumpkin carriage."

"Who needs a fairy godmother when you have a Brooklyn, right?"

"Screw off, Jess."

●●●