ᵗʷᵉᶰᵗʸ ᶠᶤᵛᵉ

Riiiing. Riiiing.

Brooklyn's cellphone was insistent on its shrill ringing. It was on the coffee table in front of the television, and she had giant bowl of popcorn sitting on her stomach, which was one of the prime reason why she was too lazy to move.

She let it go to voicemail, hoping that it was not an emergency and they would just leave what they needed after the beep. But the didn't happen as it started ringing again immediately after the call ended.

Thinking hard, she recalled that her mom wanted to go out to get some fresh air, and Jessica was good enough to accompany her when he own daughter was too lazy to move her ass. What if they were in an accident and the hospital was calling. Or maybe it was Asher.

Maybe he wanted something from her. She couldn't say no to that man, he was her boss after all. Not to mention they also exchanged 'I love you's.'

The ringing stopped and Brooklyn waited with bated breath in hopes that it would stop making that awful sound, but all it did was ring again. She groaned and lazily push the bowl aside, heaved before she got up from her slumped position on the couch, and snatched her phone off the table.

She groaned into the phone upon pressing the green button without checking the ID. "I hope there's a good reason why you're calling, because I'm doing something important here."

Yes, in her mind, binge watching TV shows are paramount to her, it was because she never had the privilege growing up and now that she does, she had to make the most out of it.

"Jessica," he called her by her pseudonym, "don't you sound happy to hear from me."

She knew that voice, it sounded familiar, like she had heard it before but haven't from that person in a long time. Finally, she found a face in her memory for that voice, "Jack?"

"You got it, sweetcheeks."

She cringed at the nickname. "How have you been? It's been a while since I heard from you."

"I'm good, thanks. But the same goes for you. Everyday I hope that I will get a call from the beautiful lady," he said smoothly, "but as each day passed I start to lose hope. So I thought it's about time it take things into my own hands."

"Sounds a handful. I'm sorry for not calling, there's a lot going on lately and I've been busy sorting things out," she said, being very vague.

The last thing she needed was another guy in the picture right now, being with Asher was scandalous enough for a lifetime. If she was seen with another male, the died down news of her and Asher would rise up again, this time without the niceness and manners.

"That's disappointing to hear," he said with fake melancholy, "would there be anything I can do to cheer you up? I, personally, can think of a few," he asked suggestively, finally showing the side of his womanizing ways.

Brooklyn's lips twisted at his suggestion. Before Asher, she would be delighted to participate in opening her legs for men to use, because she gained out of it too. But after him, her views changed. She had a man that owned her heart and it would be a sin to disregard it.

Jack was a handsome guy, he can get any woman he wants, but this one was officially off limits.

"No that I know of, no," she answered. "But thanks for the offer though, appreciate it."

"Really?" she sensed sadness, but she knew it was all just a ploy to get her to surrender to him, "nothing at all? Because I can provide and you can just watch."

"Nope, I'm good," she answered, evading the subject again. "There are enough people that are helping me cope with things. They're doing a really good job already, I don't want to trouble you."