ᵗʰᶤʳᵗʸ ᶠᵒᵘʳ

"Asher?!" Brooklyn called while flying down the corridors towards his office where Tristan had directed her. There was no reply.

She grew more anxious and forced her legs to bring her to the end of the hallway, where the last door was left ajar and from her angle, she could just about make out the shape of a man standing by the mahogany desk, smirking.

Finally reaching her destination, she pushed the door wide open with the last of her strength and she face with two men, one standing by the desk and the other sitting behind it. Both faces very familiar but only one brought her comfort.

Turning, she faced Asher. "What's the matter, is it bad?" she asked him in a rush, cocking her head to the side but all he gave her was a sharp glare that imprinted straight away to the back of her head. Feeling it full force, she staggered backwards.

Brooklyn had never seen him so angry before, even when he went to the police station to meet her after her break in he wasn't acting like this. Sure, he was cold and demanding, but the anger didn't roll off him.

And to make matters worse it was fully directed at her. What in the world did she do- or didn't do that could make him looked at her this way. Like she wasn't worth the dirt stuck in the soles of his shoes.

"Do you know that gentlemen, Ms Reid?" he asked monotonously, sitting behind his desk with a straight posture and steel-like eyes. "Because he claimed to know you."

She looked at Jack who was sending her a smug smile behind Asher's back, then back at Asher whose glare still remained strong. It would be easier to lie and say she doesn't, but she also didn't want any secrets in her relationship and the only way to do that was to tell the truth. But by the looks of it, the truth wasn't pretty and if how Asher was glaring at her was anything to go by, he already knew the answer.

"Yes."

"Do you have any idea why he's here, in my office?"

"No."

"DON'T LIE!" he burst, fist slamming on the table as he stood to his feet, sending the chair crashing as it hit the floor and broke into a few pieces.

She jumped back from the shock and felt tears brimming the side of her eyes. What did she do wrong that made him shout at her like that. She didn't do anything that upset him, did she?

Cowering, she wrapped her arms around herself and lowered her head. She didn't like the way he was looking at her, it made her feel very small and uncomfortable, but that's the idea. Horror movies may not scare her but real life horrors sure as hell does.

Stuttering, she managed to form a short sentence, "I-I don't u-un-derstand. Wh-what d-d-did I d-do."

"WHAT DID YOU DO?!" he yelled, "DON'T YOU DARE PLAY INNOCENT WITH ME, MS REID. I found that man in my office searching high and low for something, and since I couldn't get it out from him, an acquaintance should do. WHAT WAS HE LOOKING FOR."

"I don't know," she answered weakly, shaking from head to toe.

They were so happy together and just a few hours before they woke up beside each other, cuddling and kissing each other, saying their 'I love you's'. But because of one little miscommunication between them and he was already throwing accusations at her. It makes a girl wonder how invested the person actually is in the relationship.

Jack broke into his house and Asher was jumping on the first train available to blame her for it just because Jack said he knew her. He was finding accuses to push her away and this one was literally hanging before his face, and he took it, not thinking behind what he sees.

But Brooklyn knew that she hadn't done anything but avoid Jack like a plague for the past week, so she didn't understand what exactly she was pledged guilty for. Neither has she been in communication with him, she even changed her number because of him.

She knew she was innocent, but Asher doesn't, all she had to do was make him see it too. It was clear to her that Jack had put her on the spot. He threw her under the bus to protect someone. Who?

Asher marched towards her and backed her to a wall, his hands went on either side to cage her from escaping. His intense eyes looked into her innocent ones, but he didn't see it.

Speaking lowly, he whispered a threat into her ear. "You're going to tell me, Ms Reid, because one way or another I will find out and I don't always use such harmless methods."

The threat hung in the air, and she felt the realness of the situation to the core. It bothered him greatly that someone managed to break into his house without his knowledge. He prided himself in always being three steps ahead of others, but this time not only he wasn't, they also caught him with his tail between his legs.

Being this close to him, barely a few inches apart led her to realize that he was very serious with his threat but behind all that she also sensed a tinge of vulnerability. With that, she somehow found the courage to speak up.

"Asher, baby," she said calmly, and his eyes changed back a little to normal, but his features was still hard and he was still glaring a hole in her head, "whatever you think I did, it's not me."

"Who is that guy," he all but growled.

Brooklyn kept the fear plastered on her face as she continued to speak softly to prevent the other party in the room from eavesdropping. "I met him the day after you gave me the job. He seemed nice then and I gave him my number but after that I learned that he was a creep."

"What is your relationship with him."

"None. I can't stand looking at him because he scares the shit out of me. One time he came knocking on your door after I rejected going out with him and said he didn't mind just hanging out. With double intentions. That was the day of the window incident too."

His brows furrowed, "why am I only hearing this now," he asked animalistically, keeping up the act that he soon caught on, "don't you think it was something I should know about."

"Didn't want to worry you. Besides, I have Tristan to protect me," she whispered. "He's a good choice."

"Glad you like him," his lips tipped a fraction. "So, that guy, other than that his name is Hunter what do you know about him."

"Who the fuck is Hunter," Brooklyn choked, "his name is Jack."

"I ran a background check on him already while waiting, babe. It's Hunter."

"Son of a bitch."

Jack- or Hunter, or whatever other alias he has out there, he played her good. Brooklyn couldn't believe she actually thought that only she was smart enough to give a fake name. In the end, he found out but she never did.

"Do you have any idea of what he wants, then." She answered with a meek 'no' and he slammed his fist on the wall. Jumping a feet high, she saw a hint of red on his knuckles as he turned towards Hunter, gifting him with a better glare. "WHO ARE YOU WORKING WITH," Asher yelled, pushing his chest roughly.

He stumbled but managed to remain on his feet, answered with obnoxious tip of his mouth, and kept his mouth shut.

"Fine, if this is the game you want to play," Asher nodded to himself and turned around, as if retreating before turning back with lightning fast reflexes and his bloodied knuckles made quick contact with his nose, giving a satisfying crunch.

This time, Hunter staggered and his hand flew to to nose. Hissing when he touched the injured bone, he pulled back his hand and saw blood on his fingers. His eyes flashed to Asher and he bared his teeth, "you'll pay for that," he spat, staining the hardwood floor.

"I won't if you're behind bars, you little bitch, along with your accomplice," Asher growled in reply, fist in front of him, ready to throw another punch if necessary.

"You'll never know who," he challenged, standing to his feet but in a slouched posture. "Try me."

"Oh I will."

____________________

I've been getting lazy :(

Soo...quality or quantity?