ᵗʷᵉᶰᵗʸ

"Jess, good news," Brooklyn said when Jessica finally came back, her face all cleaned up and she was calmed down, "he agreed!"

Jessica's dull mood lightened up when she heard, "are you serious? He agreed?"

"Yeah," she laughed, not quite believing it herself. 

She closed her eyes and sighed in relief, "thank God. I was going to find a shelter to stay in otherwise, you know, those old, rundown ones."

"I know what they are. I've been there before myself when I don't want to go home. There's a decent one just at the edge of town," Brooklyn explained, but then she smiled suddenly, "but let's not talk about that, too gloomy. Let's talk about staying in the same place? Huh? We've talked about that so much last time and now it's finally happening."

"Don't get me started!" Jessica cheered, "you sure he's cool, though? He wouldn't mind me crashing his place? I mean, I totally get it if you're just saying that to make me feel better, but he doesn't know me so I'll understand if he's not cool with it."

"Nah, don't worry about it," Brooklyn took her shoulders and shook it lightly, "he accepted without hesitating."

"Really?"

"Yeah, that's just who he is, you know? Always wanting to help others, putting their needs before his. He's a great guy."

One word, two syllabus, bullshit.

Brooklyn had contradicted every single thing he said in one sentence. The day would end before he would blindly let someone into his life, old friend or not, trustworthy or not, if they decide to suddenly be unfaithful, they're a lose end. Jessica may be trusted by Brooklyn because they had spent quality time together before, but Asher won't do something so reckless. Asher will be deep underground before he lets his reputation be ruined by some uni student.

If this came up on a longer notice, he would've ran background check after background check to make sure that Jessica was clean and without a track record, or anything at all that would put his business at risk. But since it's on short notice, pleaded by the one person that he cannot say 'no' to, his choices are really limited.

Jessica nodded in understanding. "You're lucky to have him," she said, meaning every word even though before she could finish that sentence, Brooklyn caught on to what she was saying and shook her head furiously.

"What? No, we're not together" Brooklyn quickly denied. "He's just lending me a hand with something, having my back and all."

"That's nice," Jessica said, not at all believing what her friend was telling her. She just thought she should cut some slack to the person that saved her from living in the streets. 

"Yeah," she sighed and stood up. "Do you want to go? It's probably better if you go early so you can settle down for the night."

"Of course, sure."

Brooklyn pulled her phone from her pocket again, and she went a few steps faster to get some privacy, "Samuel? Yeah, I'm done. You can pick me up now. Thank you."

They exited the café at the same time. "Where's you car," Jessica asked, looking around, bewildered when they were just standing there.

"He'll be here soon."

Her eyes widen a fraction. "You have a driver? No," she gasped.

"Technically Samuel is not my driver. The guy's house we're going to? It's his, he just let him drive me around today because I kinda don't have my license and he didn't have anything to do."

"Ever heard of a cab?"

"Yeah, but he doesn't like it when I do that, says it's not safe, yada yada yada." Brooklyn did the yapping motion with her hands with a roll of her eye.