ᵗʷᵉᶰᵗʸ ᶠᵒᵘʳ

"Ahem."

Brooklyn and Asher both jumped apart at the sound of Lisa clearing her throat. She looked at them amusedly and smiled. "Is it...safe to assume that we won't be moving out?"

He arms instinctively went around her waist and pulled her closer. Glancing at Asher, Brooklyn saw the answer in his eyes. "No. I'm staying, and so are you, and Jess."

"That's good," she nodded to herself, smiling innocently.

The truth was, Lisa wanted to play matchmaker for the both of them. She wanted them together because even a previously unattentive mom like herself can tell that her daughter have been happier recently. The few days that they lived there, she was smiling more, laughing more, and genuinely looked happier.

And Asher, in the few days that she had known him, she saw drastic changes in that man. At first, he was just trying to woo Brooklyn with his wealth and charm, but in these current days, he seemed to look after her more. He cared about her wellbeing, and he treats her the way she deserves.

A figure popped out from the doorway. "Did I miss anything?" came Jessica's voice, and she looked around at the trio to see them in a conversation, one that she had interrupted. But she didn't let that foul the mood, her gaze landed on Asher. "Hi," she offered her hand, "I'm Jessica, but you probably already know that. We never really got the introductions in yesterday."

Asher looked at her hand in disgust, still thinking of his theory, but one hard jab in his ribs and he immediately obliged. As much as he didn't want to, they shook hands. "Asher Woods."

"I know," Jessica smiled. "Thank you, by the way, for accepting me into your home. I never came around to say it but better late than never, right?" She was cheerful, but they died down slowly when she noticed that Asher never gave a hint of a smile.

Brooklyn jabbed his side again, even harder this time. His lips thinned and he glared at her, emphasising on subtlety because of their audience. "What are you doing? You're scaring the poor girl," she hissed, making sure that the other parties couldn't hear her.

"I'm not opening my courtesy to someone I don't trust, baby."

"At least show her you can have some manners. Welcome her," she gave her best puppy dog eyes, "for me? Please?"

Those eyes widen, and she pouted those lips, her hands clutching his arm in a tight grip; signs that she wanted him to do this her way. She was playing dirty with his feeling for her and she knew it. Proud of it too.

Fine," he whisper-grunted, puffing a breath. She heard him say even softer, so much that she had to strain to even hear it, "God, I hate this woman."

Even though it was a hit towards her, she couldn't help the grin that took over her face upon hearing those words from him. She knew he didn't mean it, hopefully he doesn't.

"You're welcome to stay as long as you need," he forced out, gritting his teeth, "don't hesitate to ask for anything."

She brightened up again. "I will. Hey, thank you again, just thought I'd say it more more time," she said before she skipped into the kitchen again, Lisa following behind her.

They watched them go in and Asher made sure that they were out of earshot when he growled. "You're using yourself to vouch for her. That is not fair."

She rolled her eyes at his old school behaviour. "Life's not fair, babe. Besides, what exactly has she done to you that you hate her so much," she kissed his cheek, "Give her a chance. Everybody deserves that, right?"

"Yeah," he said absentmindedly, "everyone does." His hands were clenched into fists, trying to control his mood. As much as she convinces him, he still cannot rub off the feeling of something's wrong.