Chapter 7

"Jay! Stop pacing!" A very annoyed Evie said.

"How can I? Lonnie's about to give birth!" Jay yelled back.

"Dude, chill," Carlos said

"This can't be happening. We just felt the baby move..." Jay said

"Wait, what?" Mal asked.

"You felt the baby move?" Evie asked and Jay nodded.

"A couple nights ago..." he said.

Flashback to four days ago....

Jay and Lonnie were in Jay's dorm watching a movie. Lonnie felt movement in her abdomen and gasped quickly putting her hand on her stomach. She glanced at her boyfriend, who was half asleep.

"Jay," Lonnie said.

"Hmm?" Jay asked.

"The baby kicked," Lonnie said.

"That's nice," Jay said half asleep.

"Jay!" Lonnie said again and placed his hand on her stomach. Their daughter kicked at that exact spot and Jay jolted awake.

"What was that?" He asked pulling his hand away.

"That was your daughter," Lonnie rolled her eyes.

"Really?" 

"Yes really."

"Can I... Can I feel again?" 

"Well, you did help make her," Lonnie said and placed Jay's hand on her swollen stomach again.

"It's so weird," Jay said.

"Yeah, try feeling it in your stomach," Lonnie rolled her eyes.

Jay smiled. "I'll be right back," He said standing up.

"Get me some cookies when you're up. Your daughter's hungry," Lonnie said as Jay nodded and walked away.

End Flashback

"Awww, that's so sweet," Jane said.

"Excuse me, Mr. Jay?" A nurse came into the room.

"That's me," Jay said. "How's Lonnie?"

"Please follow me," The nurse said. Jay looked at the others and they shrugged.

"Okay," Jay nodded and followed the young nurse to where two doctors stood.

"Is this the father of the baby?" One of the doctors asked and Jay nodded.

"I am," he said.

"Good. Please follow me," He said and led Jay to an empty office.

"How is Lonnie and the baby?" Jay asked.

"Well, Princess Lonnie is in preterm labor," The doctor said fixing his glasses.

"And? What does that mean?"

"It means that she could have the baby at any time."

"Will the baby be okay?"

"As far as we can tell, yes. But, I must warn you, there could be complications."

"What kind of complications?"

"The baby could have brain damage or serious medical problems if she is born this early."

"So what can you do?"

"Since Princess Lonnie isn't dilated enough to give birth yet, we can give her medicine to postpone the birth, ag least for the next couple weeks."

"So that means that Lonnie will be in the hospital for Christmas?"

The doctor nodded. "I want her to wait to give birth until at least thirty two weeks."

"What can I do?"

"Just try to make it easy on her. She is on strict bed rest. No getting up, except to use the restroom."

"That might kill her."

"Try to make her stay as calm as possible."

"Do you know what caused the preterm labor?"

"Well, Princess Lonnie's.... Activities are part of it. The other part is simply stress."

"Okay, thank you doctor."

The doctor nodded. "I will go give her the medicine now," he said and left.

Jay went back out to the others.

"So?" Mal asked standing up.

"Well, they can postpone the labor by giving her medicine. But she is on strict bed rest and she will be here for Christmas."

"But she and the baby will be okay?" Carlos asked.

"So far, yes," Jay nodded.