Chapter 39

"WAAAAAAHHHHH," Elijah wailed from his crib. As much as Evie loved her son, she wished he would at least five hours straight without waking up. Of course, that never happened, and he would wake up every two hours.

"Doug, could you get him?" Evie said half asleep. "Doug, get your son," She said and once again got no reply. She reached over to his side of the bed to find him not there. 

"Doug?" Evie sat up and looked around, slightly freaking out. She got out of bed and looked around throughout the room. Then she found him passed out on the sofa, his working clothes still on, and his homework strewn over him.

Evie frowned and kissed his forehead before going to retrieve Elijah. "Sweetheart, can't you see that daddy's sleeping. He can't spend time with you right now," She said kissing the three month old's head.

Doug had been working extra hours lately trying to get some more money for them. He would go to school in the morning, work in the afternoon, and then do homework late at night. Not the most efficient way, but it got the job done, most days.

After changing Elijah's diaper for the fifth time that night and finding his pacifier that was under his crib, she placed her son back in his bed, giving him a sweet kiss goodnight. She then retreated to her bed and had just closed her eyes when her cellphone rang.

"Hello?" She answered sleepily. Who would be calling her at two in the morning.

"Evie? It's Ben....."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Evie raced through the halls of Auradon Prep. It had been ten minutes since Ben had called her to tell her Mal had run off. She had gotten Doug up, put a dress on, and quickly applied mascara before slipping on her boots and running out the door.

She ran into the garden next to the school. "Mal!" She called as she walked quickly through the grounds. 

"She's not here..." Evie said to herself. "There's only one other place she could be...." 

At the Enchanted Lake.....

"Mal?" Evie called and then saw her purple haired friend sitting on the ground crying. "Oh Mal...." She rushed over and hugged Mal tightly. 

Mal sat there numbly, not fighting the hug. "What are you doing here?" She asked through the tears.

"Ben called me, he said you ran out upset. What's going on M?"

"Nothing. Absolutely nothing. You know, if you ignore the fact that my husband said he didn't love me, that I was a pig, or that he didn't love the two children he impregnated me with," Mal said looking out into the lake.

"He said all those things?"

"Well... In my dream he did..."

"Mal, is this why you're upset? You think Ben doesn't love you?"

"Well it's true isn't it? And don't say it's just hormones, or that it's mood swings. That's all I ever hear these days. Sometimes I wish I wasn't even pregnant!"

"Mal! Don't say that! You and Ben tried very hard to have a family. I know this is hard. But Ben does love you. You may not be able to see it, but it's just because your going through something tough right now. You need Ben, and he needs you, whether you see it or not."

"So... I can't stay mad at him?"

"You can stay mad at him all you want. It's not going to change the fact that he's your husband and the father of your child."

"Why are you always right?"

"Because I'm fabulous," Evie said and the girls laughed. "But in all seriousness Mal, you gave poor Ben a heart attack."

"He'll get over it."

"I'm sure he will.... In time."

Mal smiled slightly. "I'm glad that you're my sister Evie. Nothing can tear us apart. We're gonna stay together forever right?" She asked. 

Evie's smiled turned into a slight frown as she looked away. "Evie..." Mal said. "What are you not telling me?"

"We are moving Mal. In fact we're starting to move now. By the time Graduation comes around, we'll be almost finished moving into the Castle."

"Don't leave Evie... Please don't go," Mal said taking her blue haired friend's hand.

"Mal, I don't have a choice. I have to do what's best for my family. If this is what's best for them, even though it's hard..... I have to do it...."

"I understand..."

"You do?"

Mal nodded. "If I was in your position, I'd probably do the same thing. I just wish you had told me sooner. Ben could help."

"I don't want Ben to do anything Mal. Understand? No meddling," Evie said. "I don't want this to be harder than it already is."

"Okay...." Mal said. Evie hugged her friend.

"I've got to get back to Doug and Eli. Please go back to Ben. You guys talk."

"I will Evie."

"Good. See you later Mal. Text me if you need anything."

"Bye," Mal waved and Evie walked away. Mal looked back out to the lake. This couldn't be the end of Mevie could it?