Chapter 40

Phew, 40 Chapters! Here's a little Devie chapter for you guys, then it's on to Jonnie, and then a time skip!

"Ma-ma-ma-ma," Elijah babbled as he stared up at animals dancing above him. Mal and Ben had just bought him a play mat with a mobile hanging on it.

"That's right, mama," Evie picked up her son and snuggled him in her arms.

"Alright, I'm off to work," Doug said coming out of the bathroom.

"No, no you're not," Evie shook her head.

"What do you mean?"

"We're going to see your parents today."

"But sweetheart-"

"Uh-uh. Don't sweetheart me. We're going to settle whatever argument or fight you have going on with your family."

"I have work...."

"I took a day off for you."

"When were you planning on telling me?"

"When you asked."

"Which would be...."

"Before you left or when you got to work."

"Evie, I know you're concerned for me and my relationship with my family, but please leave it alone."

"I would love to, but I can't. Because I want Elijah and his siblings to have at least one good set of grandparents."

"You.. You just said Eli's siblings..."

"Yes, I'm hoping that one day, in the future, we'll have another family addition or two."

"There's not way I'm getting out of either of these things am I?"

"Nope. We're definitely going to see your parents, and Elijah's definitely going to have siblings."

"My mom and dad hate me."

"No they don't Doug. You just think they do because you haven't talked to them."

"I know they do."

"Have you talked to them?"

"No...."

"How can you be sure that they hate you if you haven't talked to them?"

"I just know."

"Get ready to leave. This discussion is closed," Evie said and laid Eli in his arms before going to the bathroom.

"Ma-ma-ma-ma," Elijah babbled again.

"I totally agree. We boys are no match for your mother," Doug shook his head and go ready to see his parents.

At Doug's Parents....

"At least try to act civil," Evie said as they pulled up to the cottage.

"Are you talking to me or the baby?" Doug asked.

"Both of you," Evie said and unbuckled her seat belt. "We aren't leaving until you mend the bond between you and your parents."

"Fine," Doug pouted slightly and got Eli, who was sleeping soundly, out of the car.

"You are so lucky you get to sleep through all of this," Doug whispered to his son before following Evie up to the door

"You are so lucky you get to sleep through all of this," Doug whispered to his son before following Evie up to the door. Evie knocked and soon Doug's mother opened the door.

"Hello..." She said quietly. She was both ashamed and sad that they had had such a fight. They found out that Evie was a nice girl, and that she was the perfect person for their son.

"Hi," Evie smiled and Doug's mother let them in. 

"Is this Elijah?" Doug mother asked looking at the sleeping newborn.

"Yes," Doug nodded.

"He's beautiful," She said and turned to Evie to hug her. "Thank you for letting us see him."

"It's no problem Mary," Evie smiled. "He is your grandson after all." (I just picked Mary because it sounded right)

"And.... We're sorry," Mary said looking at her son. 

"All of us are," Dopey piped up. The other dwarfs nodded. 

"We see that you two are perfect for each other," Sneezy said. 

"We'll try to be more open minded about these things," Doc said.

"Welcome to the family Evie," Happy squeezed Evie in a tight hug.

"Thank you," Evie said smiling. Doug sighed. 

"I forgive you," He said and everyone looked at him.

"What?" Sleepy asked lifting his head up.

"I said I forgive you. Eli needs his grandparents as much as I need my parents," Doug said and Mary hugged him. 

"Thank you," Evie whispered to him and he smiled. 

"Just remember, you owe me another son and Eli a brother," Doug whispered back.

"And why is that?" Evie turned to him.

"Because there's no way we can face you by ourselves."

"What if we have daughters instead?"

"One son for each daughter. I don't think I can handle more than one Evie," Doug said and kissed her cheek. 

The day went on, and Doug's parents and uncles took turns holding Eli, making him laugh, and showing Evie the old family recipes. Doug smiled at all of this. For this was his family. This was where they belonged.