Chapter 2: Real Friends

- 🌸 Shayla Janae Knight 

My friends? yeah i don't have too many. Mani and Ariana are my only friends because I couldn't really trust people. Growing up that was something that I learned, especially freshman year of highschool, aka "the year you find out who your real friends are"....

 Growing up that was something that I learned, especially freshman year of highschool, aka "the year you find out who your real friends are"

Me and Mani have been friends for quite some time now. I knew of her because my grandma use to be friends with hers so we became close, even as babies we were always cool. She's also 16 just like me and we attend the same school. 

However, Me and Ariana have been friends every since 1st grade but we have a bond like it's been longer

However, Me and Ariana have been friends every since 1st grade but we have a bond like it's been longer. We also attend the same school. However She's 15, but she's a sophomore just like me and Mani. In 5th grade we  started hanging out and then I started bringing Mani around, that's when we all got close. 

 Every time it was time for my shift to end on saturday's, my friends would always walk over to my store and walk with me home so that we could hang out, that's what I was waiting for. 

" How's school going girl? good grades?" My boss Ms. Banks asked, she was a older black woman, very kind at heart. 

I sighed before answering," I hate it but my grades good, i have all b's" I told her as i sat in the little stool behind the counter while I watched her work the counter. 

" good, how's your mom?" she asked causing my stomach to drop tremendously. 

Over the years, I've formed a strong hate for when people asked how my mom was doing, because I knew of nothing to say. 

what was I Suppose to say?  Oh yeah, she's doing bad because she's a user and she sniffs crack on a daily . 

I rolled my eyes considering she couldn't see me. " she good, I'll tell her you said hi" I emphasized. 

" please do, i miss her coming by here. How's your dad?" she asked, where were all of these questions coming from? Just leave me alone. 

" Oh my dad, He-" 

" Hey Ms.Banks, where is Shayla?" The little ole familiar voice spoke, cutting me off in mid sentence. Causing me to stand up from my stool behind the counter. 

" Oh there she is, hey bestfriend" Mani greeted with a big smile on her face with ari standing right behind her. 

" hey y'all, bye Ms. banks" I waved stepping from behind the counter. 

" bye girls, be careful out there" Ms. banks warned still standing behind the counter. " okay" we said replying in unison before exiting the store. 

" you cool girl? you look sad" Ariana asked looking over at me as we walked side to side down the busy street. 

I looked over at her, " Yeah i'm good, just happy to go home" I chuckled. 

" girl we know when something wrong with you, you ain't fooling nobody. Now tell us" Mani demanded. 

" nothings wrong" I implied laughing in the process. 

Work was long and as a result of that, I was thinking about any and everything. Today was just one of them days. 

Don't you know the feeling when you just feel like nobody there for you? The lonely feeling? ... Well that was me today and Ms. banks ain't make it no better by asking me about my parents, they don't give a damn about me. 

" Shayla, if you don't tell me what's wrong with you then I'm really gon' be convinced that you got a new set of bestfriends" Ariana spoke out of jealousy causing both me and Mani to laugh. 

" well, i been kinda in my feelings lately" I admitted. 

" why? you don't got no man" Mani replied with a confused factual expression. 

I sighed as I shook my head. " no, are yall dumb or something?" I asked looking at them stern. 

" that's Mani dumb self, I know what you mean bestfriend. What's been going on?" Ari asked with a voice full of pity towards me. 

" damn, sorry about that" Mani apologized. 

" It's cool but I just feel like my parents are less assertive towards me, you know what i mean?" I said, checking for clear understanding. 

"  What you mean by assertive?"Mani asked. 

" right, i'm confused" Ari agreed.

I shook my head in the process of sighing. " I just feel like they don't care" I explained using hand motion.

They both dramatically gasped, however, Mani placed her arm over my shoulder. " Why not? just because your mom is a use-"

" you know what? I should've just not said anything in the first place, Mani you know how that shit make me feel" I asserted before walking off from them both. 

Something that you did not want to do was make me upset regarding my mother because I will hold that grudge forever. 

I just wish she were normal, you know? like a normal mom that comforts their child when they really need it. 

she wasn't like that though.... 

And now I just was gonna have to live life without a well functioning mother cause all she care about it drugs and it hurts me. 

" Hey Shayla, wait up" Ari called from behind me. 

I completely ignored her and just kept walking to the destination of my house but obviously I wasn't fast enough because seconds later Ari and Mani caught up with me. 

" i'm sorry Shayla, you know I didn't mean it like that. Just please listen to me" Mani begged. 

" Mani just forget about it, if y'all still wanna come to my house then y'all can come but if not then y'all can leave" I said shrugging my shoulders. 

" alright" they both spoke in unison as they walked along side of me. 

The walk to my house was silent, I had nothing to say because my mind was full of upset thoughts.

Finally, as we walked up towards my house, I noticed my neighbor outside in front observing my home causing me to grow confused. 

" um, how can I help you mr.Johnson?" I asked with a slight attitude and my arms folded. 

He looked at me before turning back to observe the house. " It's nothing to help me with, I was just looking" he mumbled. 

I looked at the girls and then back at Mr.johnson. " K, enjoy" I sarcasticly replied before making my way up towards the stairs of my house. 

-

What's yall opinions?  ( be honest) 

Wait til next chaptery'all gon' be SHOOK.

65 votes in one day....yeah that's wassup 🤘🏽🤣 Happy new year to all my sisters.