Chapter 6: School Time

- 🌸 Shayla Janae Knight

This morning I woke up with my momma on my mind. I wondered how she was doing, You know?

My best friends too.

I wondered did my teachers wonder were I was.....Was my momma gonna finally get clean? Now that I think about it...... I've never seen my momma clean off drugs. She was always High from the coke that she sniffed.

Sad right?

" Shayla, Come on if you wanna get a ride to school guh" Keisha called from downstairs.

" Okay" I called back as i looked in the mirror while fixing the collar on my dark blue polo shirt. I made sure my khakis were situated before looking down at my newly black timberlands that Auntie keisha bought me.

I grabbed my phone from off the bed, along with my bookbag and proceeded to go downstairs where keisha stood standing on her phone near the door.

" Grab a granola bar or some, I worked a long shift last night..... I ain have time to cook breakfast " She explained to me.

" It's cool" I told her walking into the kitchen where granola bars were located on the counter. I grabbed a quaker oats granola bar before making my way back to the living room where she was.

" Ok, i'm ready" I mumbled unwrapping my bar.

" Let's go den" She said making her way over towards the door, she unlocked it and let me proceed out before locking it behind her.

Today was my 4th day at school and so far I haven't made a decent friend. However, I did have a group of girls that i sat at lunch with. They were cool, but just not my bestfriends......

" Ay Keisha!" a in particular voice called out making the both of us watch our surroundings. I then noticed the voice coming from across the road.

" Wassam Ken? why you ain at school ?" Keisha spoke using her louisiana southern slang.

" I missed da bus" He replied with a silly smirk upon his face.

This was the same boy from yesterday that threw the ball at me in gym class, and then he claimed it was a mistake. It was definitely a bad idea to put junior's in a freshmen gym class.

" come on, I'a give you a ride" Keisha offered before getting into the driver's seat of her honda civic. I sighed before getting in on the passenger side.

He walked off his porch over to keisha's car which was parked in front of her house in the street. " Yall got any classes together?" Keisha questioned as she stuck the key inside the ignition.

" Gym" I mumbled.

" mane...ian got gym witchu" He rejected.

I quickly snapped my attention towards him in the backseat. Either he was playing or he had no idea who I was, but I was pretty sure he knew me.

" Yes u do...I'm the new girl....Remember?" I questioned after rolling my eyes.

" Oh yeaaaa. The one with da annoying ass accent" He replied.

I turned my head back around and focused my attention on my phone as I scrolled on my facebook newsfeed.

" Kendell you gon' stop allat cursin boy" Keisha warned.

He started to bust out into laughter. "Ight" He replied.

The ride to school was too short as usual. It wasn't ever traffic down here and I wasn't use to that.

" Alright bye Shayla and Kendell....Shayla make sho' you call me after school so i can come pick you up, in case i forget"

" Okay" I replied before closing the passenger side door.

I walked up towards the crowded walkway leading inside the school. It was always crowded in the mornings, that's what I hated the most.

" Mane whats yo first period?" kendell asked me, he caught up next to me making me sigh to myself.

I looked at him and smacked my lips. "I gotta name, don't play" I snapped.

" you saying dat like i know yo name....What's yo first period?" He asked again causing me to grow irritated.

"Shayla....My name is Shayla" I asserted with gritted teeth.

" Ight Shayla, What's yo first period?" He chuckled.

" Band....Yours?" I questioned, even though I really didn't care.

" Algebra...That shit hard as a bitch" He complained scrunching up his face.

" Not really" I replied.

" I bet yo lame ass got all a's and b's" He guessed letting out another chuckle.

" You guessed right..." I sarcastly cheered.

He gave me a evil glare before looking away. We made our way into the building about 3 minutes later since there was a lot of foot traffic.

" Kendell!" One voice shouted out catching both me and Kendell's attention since we were still walking side by side in the hallway.

" damn, hate this bitch" He mumbled, not letting others around him hear.

" Who?" I laughed looking around the crowded hallway, as multiple kids walked passed, however some stood around having conversation.

" Da one behind us, don't look back" He instructed.

I nodded as we still walked. " That's yo girl or some?" I asked him trying not to be as loud.

" Fuck no, she wanna be my girl but ion want ha" He nagged.

" I knew it" I mumbled to myself.

" Knew whet?" He asked back with his thick southern accent. It was crazy how they talked so different compared to where I come from.

" Nothing" I replied back. He was just like the typical fuck boy, I had not clue, but i could feel it. Just by the way he acts, couldn't get myself caught up in that situation.

" Ight i'a see you later or some" he told me as he merged into the freshmen algebra classroom.

It took me about another minute to reach the band classroom at the end of the hallway. Today really wasn't my day, I just hope it goes by fast.

-

" Hey yall" I greeted taking a seat at the lunch table I've been sitting at for the past 4 days, With Ciara, Taylor and Naomi.

" Hey Shayla" The girl name Taylor greeted, she was apart of the clique of girls.

" I ain't know you knew Kendell...." Ciara mentioned as she took a sip of her bottled water. She too was another girl that was apart of the clique.

"Who said i kne"

"I saw y'all walking in the halway together....I called his name but i guess he was too busy talking to you" Ciara shrugged, cutting me off in mid sentence.

" Oh damn" Naomi commented.

" You know Kendell and Ciara talk.....right?" Naomi asked over to me.

" No but now I know" I shrugged.

" Just making sho' we clear....guh I thought y'all liked each other or something." Ciara sighed.

" Nawl, It's nothing like that" I explained.

" Cool then" She replied.

-

What yall think? 🤔

VOTEEEE!

Don't sleep on me 😭

#moneygang