Chapter 20: Summer Time

Shayla Janae Knight 🌸

"Girl it seem like summer went by fast as hell

"Girl it seem like summer went by fast as hell." Vanessa complained.

I stared off into the distance at the few cars that drove down Chippewa street.

" Tell me about it."

I sighed looking down at my new 11's on my feet.

I was learning how to adapt to the trenches of Baton Rouge really quicker than I expected.

I even got lucky enough to get Me a job at mc Donald's and finally finish my driver's Ed course and get my license.

So I barely was at My auntie Keisha's house because I was either at work, in driver's Ed class or at Vanessa's house. Considering she was my bestfriend now.

" I ain't did shit but work the whole damn summer." I told her.

" The shit paid off doe." Vanessa added.

" damn right." I chuckled running my fingers through my Brazilian.

My life never was like this growing up.

We never had extra money to spend on nice things because all the money went towards bills and my mother's drug addiction.

I didn't even get my first pair of Jordan's until this summer.

I heard a door slam in the distance causing Vanessa to jump and me to instantly look up.

I noticed a boy walking out of Ms.Sherhonda's house but he seemed as if he was angry or something.

" Who the hell ?" I mumbled watching the boy aggressively wall down the street.

" You know who that is right..." Vanessa whispered over to me.

" No, who?" I asked.

" Girl that's kendell!" She told me.

I smacked my lips and laughed at her as I continued to watch the boy walk down the street.

" Hell nawl that's not Kendell. Dude over there look tall as hell and Kendell is not Tall." I told her.

She paused and turned her whole body towards me. " Guh when was the last time you seen Ken?" She asked.

I sighed trying to remember the last time I seen Kendell .

" Um shit, 3 months ago I think." I told her scratching my head.

" Yea hoe, that's why you can't recognize him. That's him. Right there . " she said as she pointed right across the street.

I smacked my lips, " man no way, that can't be Kendell, not Kendell gaulden." I denied.

" Guh yes it is.... " Vanessa spoke in her southern accent.

" No! its not !"

" See, which this." She added, Standing up from her spot on the porch.