Chapter 19: Rumors

- 🌸 Shayla Janae Knight 

I walked through the hallways and I felt like so many eyes were on me. 

And they weren't just regular stares, they were those types of stares that make you wanna go hide. 

I watched as the little freshman whispered things to each other. Obviously, rumors were being passed around. 

I just wasn't quite sure what the rumors were. 

Today i was 2 hours late to schools because Auntie keisha decided to wake me up late. Which resulted me to arriving at school before 2nd period was about to start.

Once I made it to my 2nd period, I looked around at the kids who conversated with each other. However, It seemed as if they quieted down when I entered the room. 

" Here we go again." I sighed as I walked to my seat all the way in the back. 

Here I was back at school again after a long weekend. The party that I went to with Kendell on Saturday was horrible. 

Makes me not even wanna go to a party never again. 

Once I sat in my seat I waited until the bell rang so that I could take my daily nap. I honestly hated my 2nd period with a passion. 

I noticed how the whispers started back when I sat down in my seat which gave me a clue that they were probably talking about me. 

At this point of my life I didn't really care how people felt about me. My whole Life I was judged because my mom was a user or how they would refer to it as a 'crackhead'. 

I was already used to all of the shit talking and at this point, it really didn't phase me.  

I remember the last conversation me and my mom had before I was taken away. It wasn't very good either. 

Flashback 

" Baby we gon' move out this house one day, you just wait." My mom slurred as she laid on the couch, damn near passed out. 

" You can't just sell grandma house like that...She been had this house for years!" I argued. 

I really feared that she'll sell the house that grandma has owned all of these years. My mom has been on drugs ever since my grandma died and she has yet to get herself together. I just made sure I prayed and asked God to heal her. 

" I wanna sell the house so that w-.."

" So that you can use all the money to buy drugs?" I asked her, cutting her off. 

"Shayla Jan-*BURPS* nae Knight!" She slurred, trying her hardest to get her words out, considering she was drunk and high. 

She'll usually be high and not drunk, But today she was both. 

" What? You're gonna hit me? You can't even get up out of your seat without falling back down! I Yelled in disgust. 

She tried her hardest to lift herself up from her spot on the couch, but as she attempted, she fell back down. 

" Right, Look at you!" I cried. 

I didn't even realize I was crying. 

" You let yourself go!"  I yelled back. 

" I ain't le---t not-hing go!" She argued. 

" Okay ma! Fine! I guess i'll just get picked up by child protective services since your too unfit to be a parent!" I asserted.