Chapter 14: Eye contact

- 🌸 Shayla Janae Knight

I wonder what my mother was doing right now. Was she worried? Did she even care? Maybe not, Or maybe she did. Was she in rehab? Was I gonna ever see her again?

I just felt like at this point she had a choice, either me or the drugs....I honestly felt like she was gonna pick drugs over me and I honestly didn't care because that's how it was for the last 5 years. I was use to it.....

Besides, My grandma was the only one that took care of me anyway....My bestfriend's parents took care of me too, only when I went over their houses though.

Words couldn't explain how much I loved my mother, she was my everything. Even though she hadn't been in her right state of mind for over 4 years, I still wanted her to be here and I wanted her to know that I loved her.

I looked down at my neckless that she gifted me years ago. It reminded me of the love that I had for her.

Maybe one day she could really understand that.

I sat in the bad and watched as Ken played fornite, I never noticed how boring a video game really was because I didn't have any boy cousins or any boys I was close to.

" You do this all the time?" I asked trying to spark a conversation.

" What?" He questioned.

" Play this fornite bullshit" I laughed, It was funny because the internet was the only way I knew of this game.

" Nawl, sometimes. I tol' you ion be having shit to do." He told me. " I be bored as a bitch" He added.

"That's why I do my homework cause I don't be having shit else to do" I explained. Even though I was always told homework comes first by my mother.

" You gon' do yo homework anyways cause you a nerd" He laughed causing me to nudge him in his arm.

He instantly started doing the same annoying laugh he always does. " Mane quit, you gon' make me fuck up".

" Did you do yo homework?" I asked him, with the most serious face ever.

" Fuck no" He asserted.

I smacked my lips and waited a few seconds before standing up in front of him, so that I could block his view of the game.

"Fuck is you doing?!" He snapped, trying to move his head around my body to see the tv, But everytime he did it I would step over and block his view.

" Turn off yo game and let me help you with yo homework" I explained.

" For what? Ion feel like doing that shit shayla" He mugged.

"You gon' feel like it today. Where yo bookbag?" I asked searching around the room with my eyes.

he placed his controller on the side of him and pointed towards the door. I looked over and noticed his book bag hanging up on the doorknob. I proceeded over to the door to get it.

" What all you gotta do?" I asked him.

" Algebra" He mumbled.

" Hope you gotta calculator" I added. After getting the homework from out of his bookbag, we sat on the bed and worked through it. I see I had a problem judging books by the covers because Kendell was actually smarter than I thought he would be.

He went through the proof properties worksheet with speed, thanks to his phone's calculator.

"That's it?" I asked.