Chapter 10: Friend zone

-Shayla Janae Knight

" Shayla boo can you go out dere to my car and get the rest of dem groceries fa me?" auntie Keisha asked me as she sat her portion of the groceries on the kitchen. 

" yeah I gotchu" I mumbled getting up from my spot on the couch. 

I made my way outside to auntie Keisha's car parked in the street and collected the remaining of the groceries from the backseat. After I was finished I made sure the doors were locked before proceeding back to the house.

Considering, it was superbowl sunday, Auntie Keisha went shopping for a lot of things since she was having a superbowl party tonight and she was basically inviting the whole damn neighborhood. 

" what we eating tonight?" I asked, entering the kitchen with about 5 bags in my grip. 

" Tacos and nachos, you helping?" she asked with one hand on her hip. I shook my head, indicating that i wasn't helping. 

" Nope, Homework" i shrugged sitting the groceries down on the counter. 

"Okay ms. scholar....Party start at 7 so make sho' you down hea cause Kendell coming" She blurted out catching me by surprise. 

" Why he coming?" I asked her in disbelief. 

" cause his mama coming and I tol' her to invite him. Problem?" She asked with a slight smirk, She knew exactly what she was doing. This was the perks of having a young auntie. 

" Whatever Tete Keisha...I'm going upstairs to do my homework" I laughed softly before proceeding upstairs to my room. 

That whole sunday afternoon consisted of me doing my homework and studying for my english test for tomorrow. My headphones blasted with old R&B throwbacks which made me get in the mood real quick. I stopped writing with my pencil and I looked down at my phone as the familiar song brought back so many memories.

The song that played was Mary Jane by Mary J blige which brought back so many memories...Good ones. 

-Flashback-2007 

I watched as my mother's 32 year old body danced all around the livingroom of our apartment. She motioned for me to get up from the couch and join her to dance to her favorite mary j blige song which was mary jane. 

She was failed with so much energy and her fashion choice was extraordinary like she had a dresser but no, she dressed herself. However, I admired my mother for many reasons, she was unique and everybody loved her. 

I got up from my spot on the couch and joined her hand as we danced to the beat of the mary j blige song. When we danced together I felt like no music played, just us dancing was interesting to me. 

My mother and me

- present day

I sighed trying to shake off the fact that I had another flashback of my mother, I wonder how she was doing? I heard many rumors from different people. 

My best friends told me that she got sent to a rehabilitation, and just a few days ago my auntie keisha told me that she was back on drugs which was probably the worst news ever.

I sighed one last time before focusing my attention back on my homework that i was done with. My eyes skimmed through the paper briefly checking my work before I heard light footsteps causing me to look up and see...

" Damn you really is a nerd" 

I smacked my lips at the rude remark Kendell just made along with just walking into my room.

" Um excuse me? Where you come from?" I questioned. 

" My house..." He dryly explained. 

" Boy who said you can come up here?" I asked knowing Auntie keisha couldn't have just invited him upstairs without ME knowing. 

" Yo auntie, who else?" He asked walkin fully into the room and looking around in the process. 

" Dude the party ain't even start yet and you here...ALREADY" I emphasized. 

" Damn so dats how long you been doin this bullshit ass homework? It's 8 oclock" He explained looking at me like I spoke another language. I gasped picking up my phone, looking at the time that read 8:30. 

I really did my homework for the whole day..

" And you gon' stop callin me a nerd, stupid ass li' boy" I said, mumbling the last part before stepping out of the bed. 

" So what you is then?" He asked me, sticking both his hands in his pocket. 

" I'm cool" I replied throwing up a check with my index finger and my thumb, causing him to bust out in laughter. 

" Getcho yo dumb ass" He laughed trying to cover up his smile. 

" Nerds ain't that funny so damn, I must be otherwise" I smiled making my way out of the room, hoping that he follows.

" Headass" He mumbled following me down the stairs. 

I entered the living room and saw all of Keisha's ratchet friends which i completed ignored and made my way to the kitchen where nobody was and Kendell followed. 

" Look at you, following my every move" I sassed doing a hair flip with my box braids. I went over to the counter to make me a plate. 

" The only reason I'm ova hea cause i'm bored and plus yo auntie tol' me sum" He added along with a sneaky chuckle. 

I turned my head towards him while he leaned against the counter on his phone. " What she tell you?" I asked, sighing. Whatever It was, i just knew it was embarrassing. 

" Can't tell you that. Fix me sum to eat" He demanded. I raised my eyebrow before proceeding  back to fixing my plate. 

" Ight then you ain't getting nun to eat...Might as well tell me what she said cause It's not like imma confront her about it" I explained, shrugging the both of my shoulders. 

"She tol' me you like me and shit, and  I tol' her you don't seem like dat type" He chuckled causing me to gasp and stop fixing my plate. 

" SHE SAID WHAT?" I asked with a big goofy smile on my face. 

" You like me" He mumbled nonchalantly. 

" Kendell! why would she say that ?" I asked with my hand covered over my mouth. This was probably the most embarrassing shit ever. 

" Mane ion know, you tell me" He laughed. I looked down at my nails trying to really see if this just happened ...

" well I don't like you..." I mumbled feeling awkward. 

" Yea I know, Ion een think of you as a girlfriend anyways...." He replied. 

 Friend zoned?...K

" Mhm" I mumbled rolling my eyes before going back to fixing my plate. 

-

What yall think?

imma start updating this book more cause I got a fire ass plot frfr

imma start updating this book more cause I got a fire ass plot frfr....Vote!