Chapter 5: Getting situated

- 🌸 Shayla Janae Knight

I walked through the house with auntie Keisha in front of me. I observed the well put together house, It was wasn't half bad. The living room was a decent size with black furniture and red walls. 

" Now you know I live by myself so the house sometimes be quiet....except fo' saturdays cause them my days to invite my friends ova" She informed me as we walked all through the house. 

She lead me upstairs to this empty room with the bed already made and the tv already on. However it had a bathroom which had me satisfied 

" This is so nice auntie keisha, Than-"

"Uhn Uhn, you don't have ta thank me guh....You my niece. I got you!" She Smiled revealing her 2 golds in the front. 

" Okay" I smiled back. 

I placed my bookbag on the bed and turned back around towards her. " I'a cook some chicken and imma call you once it's done.....oh and tomorrow we'll go register fa a school and shit" She explained to me as she walked towards the door with her hand on her hip. 

" Okay" I nodded. 

I layed down on the bed and closed my eyes until I drifted off to sleep. Today was just a long day for me. 

-

Nextday

" NIECE!!!! GUH WAKE UP!" 

I fluttered my eyes opened and noticed keisha shouting from the top of her lungs at the doorframe. 

" You know we gots to go look fa some schools!" She told me. 

I nodded still half way sleep but seconds later I came to my senses and stood up from the bed. My daily routine consisted of brushing my teeth, showering and putting on my clothes for the day. I hated that I had little outfits, I just hoped I could find a job out here too. 

I jogged downstairs with my phone in one hand and my lip gloss in the other. I smelled a strong scent of breakfast causing me to take it all in. 

" Guh you was sleep fa da longest...You aight?" She questioned from the kitchen table with a plate full of pancakes on it.

" yeah i'm okay, yesterday was a long day" I sighed walking over towards the kitchen table. 

" You can get some sleep when we come back, but if you want some food....get it" She announced pointing towards the kitchen counter with bowls filled with bacon, eggs, pancakes and sausages.

I smiled and made my way over to the food and quickly fixed my plate. After eating we both made our way out towards the car, on our way to find schools that will accept me. 

" Tete Keisha?" I asked right as she started the ignition. 

" Yeah?" She answered back. 

" You work?" I asked her. 

She nodded while holding a silly smirk on her face. " Yeah, I work....Night shifts" She chuckled. 

I snapped my full attention on her, with a confused factual expression plastered on my face. "Night shifts?" I asked. 

" I strip" She admitted. 

I gasped and instantly started chuckling, " you forreal?" I questioned once more. 

" That's da truth and nun but da truth" She told me before pulling off from her park on the road. 

" And how old are you again?" I asked her. 

" 26, and don't tell me dat i'm old cause I-" 

" No, You not old at all" I explained. 

" oh okay, Just makin sho'" she chuckled with her eyes on the road. It was a good 30 minute drive before we ended up at one high school. It was small compared to our schools in Detroit. 

Our high schools were big and surrounded by lots of houses, However this High school was different. It was little....Or should I say small. 

" What's this highschool name?" I asked, getting out of the car along with Keisha. 

" Mckinley, All the li' kids go hea" She told me. 

I nodded as I looked up at the school, It seemed like only 200 kids could fit in it. " So....do they even have room for me?" I chuckled. 

" Guh yeaa, come on" She laughed walking towards the main entrance and I followed in behind her. The school in particular smelled like drywall, It had a strange smell to it. I didn't like it....

I followed tete keisha as she lead me towards the office, Where 4 people sat behind desk and looked through paperwork. " Hello, How may I help you ladies today?" One nice white lady asked. 

" Um I'm looking tuh register my niece in school hea" Keisha explained with both her elbows on the countertop.

" Alright..." One lady replied as she stood up from her seat. She grabbed multiple paperwork and placed it in front of kiesha, for her to sign it. " You can have a seat and Sign this paperwork and then you'll be good to go" The lady explained. 

Keisha nodded and walked over to an empty chair and sat down with all of the paperwork in her hand. I did the same but instead of signing paperwork, I Just sat down and scrolled through my facebook newsfeed. 

" Um Ms. Whateva yo name is..." 

I looked up and noticed a boy standing over the counter, talking to the ladies behind the counter. 

" Kendell, why are you out of class again?" One lady asked standing up from her desk. 

" The teacher kicked me out and tol' me tuh come in hea" He said as he shrugged both his shoulders. 

Auntie keisha looked up from signing her paperwork and squinted her eyes at the little boy. "Um Kendell? Is that you?" Keisha questioned, causing the boy to turn around. 

" Oh hey Keisha" He smiled. 

" Don't hey keisha me...boa whatchu doin outta class?" Auntie keisha asked. 

" I got in trouble....The teacher kicked me out fa being on live" He explained, he seemed as if he was the one mad. 

" Whatchu doin on live in school anyway?" Keisha questioned standing up from her seat. 

" Talking to folks" he chuckled. 

" Boa gon' back to class and tell yo teacher that you sorry" Keisha directed. 

" aight" He sighed with a little base in his voice, You could tell that he ain't wanna go back. 

Keisha sighed before sitting back in her previous seat next to me, " Who was that?" I asked trying not to be too loud. 

" That's one of da li' boys that live cross the road from me.....Nigga always in some trouble" Keisha mumbled. 

" He seem like he always in trouble" I chuckled going back to scrolling on my phone. 

-

I promise, these chapters gon' get longer. Trust me!

Auntie Keisha