Chapter 7: Not too bad

- 🌸 Shayla Janae Knight

" That don't go right there" i sighed trying to rearrange the pictures on my project board, considering this was due as soon as I go back to school. I been contemplating this project for hours now.

I've noticed that every time I was stressed about a certain situation then I always found myself overworking or overthinking myself.

It was a saturday night and here I was spending it upstairs doing homework that was due on Tuesday. However, Auntie Keisha was downstairs with her ratchet friends playing cards in the backyard. I was guessing that the older people in the south did this whenever they all come together, It seemed fun though but it was something you won't see in detroit because nobody could ever get along.

I sighed once again before standing up from the floor carpet. I was thirsty, which meant I had to travel all the way downstairs for something to clench my thirst.

I made my way out of the room and proceeded down the stairs. The whole house was empty, considering everybody was out in the backyard.

I walked over to the fridge and opened it along with observing in it. I grabbed a bottle of water and closed it back.

I opened it and took a sip before closing it back up. I was so bored, I had no friends which made it even worse.

Sounds of balls being bounced came from outside causing me to turn my head to the front door, which meant it was coming from outside in the front.

It was really rare that you heard basketball playing on a saturday at this time of night, so I made my way over to the front door to see who it could be.

And without looking out of the window, i opened the door to go outside. It was quite much darker in louisiana at night which made it more scary at night but I wasn't worried because Keisha's porch had enough light support.

" Mane Kentrell you cheating boa"

The familiar voice came from the other side of the street. I noticed two boys, one being Kendell and the other one being a boy I never seen before. But I couldn't really see cause it was really dim.

" That's da girl i was talm bout. Come hea shayla!" Kendell instructed as he passed the ball over to the other boy.

I smacked my lips considering I thought he wasn't paying attention.

" For what?" I questioned with attitude.

" Gotta tell you sum" He laughed.

I smacked my lips and walked down the steps and walked over to the street, or as they called it...The road.

I walked towards the basketball rim that they were playing on but not too close because I didn't wanna get hit by a ball.

" Now what?" I asked.

" Oh, I ain't want nun. Jus wanted to see what you was doing" He laughed as he continued to play ball with the boy.

" Alright back in the house I go" I said before chucking up the deuces and walking away.

"Kendell you bullshit, I'm startin tuh think you gay, bitch ass boa" The other boy spoke from behind me.

" Mane shutcho ass up" Kendell asserted back.

" Aye hol'up Shayla, my momma in dea?" He asked before throwing the ball over to the boy and making his way over to me.

I shrugged, " Boy I don't even know how yo mama look" I replied, mugging him.