Chapter 11

Chapter 11:

"It's almost time for me to go" Lilly says softly. I was at Lilly's and her parents were downstairs, ensuring she had everything.

"I know" I admit, though I didn't want to. She is my best friend, my only true friend. I'm not sure why but my mind wandered to Sebastian but I pushed him to the back of my thoughts. Today was the last day with Lilly before she is several hours and thousands of miles away from me.

"I got you something" She says gently, "Well, it's for both of us. As a reminder that we will forever be with each other- no matter the distance" She adds and pulls out two necklaces.

"I gasped at the beauty of the small, dainty chain. It was a silver necklace, each one being a part of a puzzle that fitted together. Lilly handed it one to me, on the necklace in black writing it said 'side by side or miles apart' whilst Lilly's said 'best friends like us stay close in heart'. Tears pricked my eyes when she put them together.

(Pic of necklace)

"It's to show that you are truly my best friend and I will always be here for you, no matter what happens" She says, a smile sitting on her lips

I pull her into a hug and wipe my tears.

"I love it, thank you" I smile sadly and her hold on me tightens.

"I love you Sympathy" She whispers, I could feel her tears on my neck and that made me cry too.

"I love you too Lilly" I murmur.

"Lilly! Are you ready to leave now?" Her mom shouts up the stairs and we slowly pull away. Lilly links her arm through mine and we walk down the stairs. 

I see her parents look at her proudly through their teary eyes.

"We're so proud of you" They begin to tell Lilly. I go back upstairs to Lilly's room and check she has everything and to also check that I had all my sleep things. Lilly's parents were kind enough to offer to drop me home after waving Lilly off so I had to make sure I got my things.

I grabbed my bag and when I went back downstairs, Lilly was just pulling away from a hug with her parents.

The car ride on the way to the airport goes fast. Lilly was being her usual bubbly self and was trying to get us all to laugh. It worked.

When we parked in the airport car park, Lilly's mother and father got her bags whilst Lilly linked arms with me again.

"You know, I'll call and text you all the time" She says with a smile, "soon you'll begin to get bored of seeing me so much!" She giggled but I knew she was just trying to lighten the atmosphere.

"Don't be ridiculous. Now who am I supposed to watch titanic and eat pizza with?" I ask and she lets out a loud, contagious laugh that I can't help but to join in with.

"Well, we can Skype and watch it at the same time whilst eating pizza" she jokes and I smile.

"I'm going to take that as a promise then" I say and she laughs again.

"What's happening between you and Mike?" I ask and at the mention of his name, I see her lips twitch up into a genuine smile.

"Well, he is going to be visiting me a lot and I'm going to be visiting him" she says, "I was with him the other day and I saw that he bought plane tickets on his laptop. I think it was meant to be a surprise so I acted as though I didn't see it" She lets out anther laugh and I couldn't help smiling at her.

"It's good you didn't have to break up then" I say honestly. Mike has made her much happier than she usually is.

"Otherwise, we would've just Skype or face timed. Or maybe it would have been me and you on Skype and him and I on face time at the same time" She giggled and I grinned.

I felt myself frown when we came to security. Lilly gives me a tight hug.

"I'm always here" She whispers and I nod, feeling my throat dry up.

"I'm here for you too" I'm able to let out just as she lets go of me.

Her parents hug her, they spend a bit more time with her and I'm not surprised to see them all wiping their tears. They have always been close.

"So this is it" Lilly says to all three of us.

"I love you all, thank you so so much for everything you have ever done for me" She says with a sweet smile as tears rolled down her cheeks.

"We love you too" her mom smiled at her, tears running down her own cheeks too.

We all watched as she pulled her suitcase along behind her. She waved at us before she disappeared.

The ride home was filled with tears.

I gently grabbed the puzzle piece of my necklace Lilly gave me. 'I'll always be here' I hear her say before I wipe my tears.

---

"Thank you for the ride" I smile politely.

"Anytime, hun" Lilly's mom smiled at me. I returned the smile before walking into my house. I walk upstairs and lay in bed for a while, already missing Lilly.

I am so glad to have her as my best friend.