CHAPTER SEVENTY-FIVE

"What the fuck do you mean I'm on the verge of academic probation? What the hell does all of this mean?" Dalvin was seated across from the Dean of Hillman University as he was inside of his spacious and luxurious office as he felt the peering eyes of the founders of the highly prestigious HBCU state deeply into the deep crevices of his troubled soul.

The men held vicious looks from the paintings as Dalvin grew goosebumps from simply sneaking a peek at them, they really creeped him out as the Dean quickly took notice of it and cleared his throat from the sudden silence that was brought upon the room.

"Ahem, as I was saying once before Mr. DeGrate before you went out a vulgar rampage from my speech... you're are no longer capable of attending any of your semester here at Hillman if you continue to slack off. Here at Hillman, academics is everything and just because you got here on a sports scholarship doesn't excuse you to do your thing just because you are away from your parents, this is school no matter what and there are consequences towards your action, Mr. DeGrate" Dean Wilkes expresses to Dalvin as he briefly pushes up his bifocals to the brim of his nose.

"So... what you trying to say, huh? I'm not smart enough or something, hmm is that it?" Dalvin could feel sweat formulate on his mocha flesh as a wet circle formed underneath his arms, the heat was getting to him in the Dean's office but nevertheless he kept his cool or at least tried to.

"I'm not saying that you aren't a smart student, Mr. DeGrate. I think that you're an exceptional student at this fine institute but you seem to have distractions, perhaps which is hindering your ability to excel in your school work. Look, Mr. DeGrate... I see myself a lot in you... I was a young man before and I had my days when I wanted to do things my way and not even thinking about my future and almost throwing it away over stupid things that I only did because I wanted to be down with the in-crowd... you have potential don't throw it away over some hidden demons that plagues your mind, body, and soul. You're a bright young man, Mr. DeGrate... I believe in you but you have to start believing in yourself also" Dalvin felt his palms precipitate as he dug his finger nails inside of his sweaty skin.

"Is that all, Dean Wilkes... I'm late for basketball practice" Dalvin groggily spoke as he starts to bite the inside of his cheek so hard that he felt like it was about to bleed any second from now.

"Sadly, yes. You're dismiss, Mr. DeGrate" Dean Wilkes dismissed Dalvin as he waves him off whilst Dalvin abruptly gets out of the mahogany engraved chair with precision as he scooped his gym bag off the ground and puts the strap of the bag on his shoulder as he hoists it up close to himself.

"Remember everything that I told you, Mr. DeGrate. This is your future... you either succeed or fail, it's your call to what you want out of life" Dalvin was halfway out the door as Dean Wilkes utter some more words out his mouth but they were lost as he put his headphones over his ears and blasted Ll Cool J's new album as he puts his Walkman in his shorts pocket and begins to walk to his destination was to basketball practice the only place that he could be free from the madness around him and he wouldn't have to see him.

"D, up... come on push it!" Dalvin's adrenaline was pumped up as he bounced the ball down the court he instructed the young men that was playing the scrimmage game on his side to get in their positions as they guarded the other men to Dalvin's advantage as he saw a open opportunity to rush down the court.