Chapter 28- Smiles

Melissa's POV.

"Come again, sweetheart. Good night." Jacky was about to close the cafe when I left. It was 5:30 p.m. and I had to meet Rogan at 6. I would be home in 15 minutes max.

I took the new book, The Spy by Paulo Coelho from the reading room of the cafe and headed home. Strange how I do not hesitate to call that place home now. At least, it was better than that prison of a place I lived after I married that horrible man.

I plugged in my earphones and walked towards the apartment building. Late evenings were always so beautiful, as I walked I passed by a small park inside the society. The little kids were retreating back to their homes with their mothers or nannies, the teenagers still hung around with their mates with roller skates and bicycles. A few old couples walked while watching the sunset and laughed and joked, here and there. It was a beautiful sight to see, so much happiness was surrounding me, it felt surreal.

After about 5 minutes I reached the apartment with a small smile on my face. I immediately went to my room and got fresh and ready for dinner. I kept the book on the nightstand and relaxed while switching on Netflix.

Knock. Knock.

I let out a huff. They have to keep disturbing me.

"Come in." I said. A brown haired head popped in slightly from the door. It was Rogan.

"Are you busy? I need to talk to you about something before dinner." He said. I almost forgot he asked me to meet him at his study at 6. When did I start forgetting so often?

"Uh, I forgot you asked me to see you at your study. I apologise. Please have a seat." I showed him to the sitting area in my room. We both say down opposite of each other. "What is it that you would like to discuss?" I ask straight forward.

Rogan shifted uncomfortably at first but then he composed himself. "Firstly, thank you for the tea. It really helped." He smiled. Now we are having civil conversations like adults. That's progress.

"You're feeling better now?" I asked, he nodded his head. He looked better than before, he visited my room which he never did before. He smiled at me without the hint of hatred in his icy blue eyes. How can a person change overnight?

"Also, we are having a charity program for Project RCO, it's kind of an art exhibition portrayed by the underprivileged kids followed by a fund raiser event." He paused, took a breath and looked straight into my brown eyes. "You are coming with me to this event. As my woman." It was not a request, it was a statement. Why is it that men think women will abide by their rules all the time? Don't we have any say in what we want?

His demand irritated me.

"Now that you've said what you wanted, listen to me carefully." I looked straight into his silvery blue orbs. "Your statement irritates me. I'll only go with you if you'll kindly ask me to go with you. I'll decide for myself, no one else. I hope I'm clear to you." Our faces were stoic. No expression. No emotion.

"Very well then." He bent a little forward, bringing his body and face closer to me. I could only stare at his silvery blue eyes. "Would you be my date to the charity event, Melissa?" Unexpected. I thought he will be himself again and force me to go with him.

I smiled. "I'll think about it..."

Blue orbs fixated on my brown ones. The silver in his eyes sparkled like tiny diamonds. It should be illegal to have such magnificent eyes. Those tiny blue frozen oceans were so deep and it made me feel like it was drowning me, pulling me to it's depth. I couldn't look away. I just couldn't.

But the universe planned something else, because the intercom in my room sounded with Maria's voice, informing us that dinner was ready.

The spell broke.

Rogan cleared his throat and I shifted in my couch. I wish there was something that could make me stop from feeling.

"I'll be down in 2 minutes." I told him so that the awkwardness doesn't prolong and my stomach was demanding food anyway. He nodded and turned to leave.

I fidgeted with my fingers waiting for him to leave. But he decided to stop, I guess he had something more to say...

"Um, Melissa?" He called from the door, looking so unsure if himself.

I looked at him expectantly. "Yeah?"

"We will be together for the next 5 years. That's a very long time." His eyes were reflecting kindness and his voice was so gentle. "We are adults and we can have a civil conversation. Let's try to not rip each other's throat and make an effort to make this work." He paused and stared at me. My mouth hung open and eyes wide. I never expected that from him, I thought he got me here to torture me in the first place. He looked amused at my expression. "Are you with me?" He asked.

I could only nod stupidly. I had no words to utter.

"How?" I muttered to myself but he heard me clear and suggested the most unexpected things once again.

"Let's start with ice cream after dinner."

--------------

Blake's Pov.

I opened my eyes and saw darkness. I tried to reach for the switch but my head feels so heavy. While I tried to move, my leg hit the bottle of Brandy and the glass bottle crashed on the floor making a loud noise.

I cringed at the sound, it feels like glass is cutting my ears and flesh.

"Melissa..." I called out. "Melissaaaa...." I shouted.

"MELISSA!"

Nothing. No one was there. She wasn't here. She should be here! That whore! Sleeping and having fun with that other man!

It was all her plan.

They both plotted against me. That bastard aimed my business first and then my woman. She is mine. No one can take her away from me! No one!

I'm going to get her back.

"Wife, I'm coming for you."

____________________*×*____________________

Please vote and comment.

Love,
Loren.