Chapter 46 - Rescue

Rogan's POV

Evangeline Black couldn't hold me back from getting back my Melissa. I guess she knew that already but she still wanted to try because she was filled with hatred and she is a stubborn woman; also, to her it's a game that she cannot lose.

Pete sorted out things with the police and brought in a rescue team to take Melissa out of that house. I wouldn't ask to which length he went to sort that unnecessary mess out. But, once again he did his job well.

The police rushed in with guns armed and Pete and myself were behind them. It was a big house looked like a palace but it was gloomy and dark inside, a sense of eerie coldness spread through us.

We surrounded the area, two police officers in front of us guarding us, in case an open fire broke out since we were only civilians. We passed the patio, entered the receiving area, then into the ballroom, which was apparently the living room. It was empty.

"You Bitch!" We heard someone shout from the second landing of the house. I knew that voice. It was Blake!

I tried to rush past the police and take the stairs, just when someone fired from the left side, I'm guessing from the kitchen. Pete came rushing towards me and we dunked down to avoid the shot. Not a moment later, it became a warzone down there. The police took cover around me and Pete while they open fired, taking down Blake's accomplices.

Then we heard a loud scream coming from the same direction as the previous one. It was Melissa.

I ran upstairs, searching all the rooms which opened into empty darkness.

Then we all halted. A series of long screams were heard, Making my heart rip apart. The pain in that scream was undiscribable. Tears pooled my eyes, I just wanted to hold her in my arms and take all that pain away.

Reaching the last room at the corner, I opened it and saw blood. My heart stopped.

Lots of blood.

As we walked in, Blake lay motionless on the floor. His bloodied hand covering his stomach.

I looked at Melissa, her eyes were in pits of darkness, she had a sharp piece of glass in her hand, blood dripping from it. Tears ran down her cheeks, even though she was alive, she sat on blood as if she was the one murdered.

That was it.

I rushed towards her as she lost consciousness and fell in my arms.

-----------

A week had passed since that fateful day we rescued Melissa, and still nothing. She hasn't woken up.

"There you go." It was Marc. Melissa's brother. He placed a cup of coffee in front of me. "You should go back and get rest, get a shave maybe. You are in a pathetic shape." I was at the hospital eversince Melissa got admitted. Pete helped me get a change of clothes and food.

It wasn't enough. Nothing was good. She needed to wake up.

"I will." I said. "Once she wakes up." And took a sip of that coffee.

Marc sighed. "I can never thank you enough for getting her out of that mess. As her brother, I was never there for her. I should have looked more carefully into that guy." He said.

I looked at him. He looked helpless. Marc was a good brother, he was a good friend to my sister. I know he is a good man. But subconsciously, I'll never stop feeling that he didn't care enough for Melissa. "Melissa is someone who faces hell on her own but will never confide in anyone. We all could have been more attentive towards her. But we all failed in some way or the other. At least we can help her get through this pain now."

"I should have given more effort in our relationship. I never made it comfortable for her to confide in me. I should have tried harder." Marc whispered mostly to himself.

I couldn't say anything to that. Maybe because I knew that he was right to some point. Growing up an orphan, Sophia made sure to fullfil the gaps of parents. She cares more than a sister should, she never made me feel that I don't have a family. But Melissa was born into a family...

Changing the topic, I asked him about Evangeline Black. That woman was after all a murderer. She killed Melissa's biological mother.

"She was taken into custody. Lifetime imprisonment. I knew her to be ruthless but never thought her to be a murderer." He said.

"None of us expected a lot of things."

Now that Evangeline Black was serving her sentence, the company CEO position was given to Marc. He was more than capable. Mr. Black was utterly distraught after Evangeline Black was taken by the police and it was all over the news. That poor man failed badly. He couldn't stop blaming himself for everything.

Pete came and stood beside me, clearing his throat.

"Yeah?"

"Blake Evans has been declared guilty and he was taken to the mental assylum as he got discharged today. Also, Dr. Matthews wants to see you." I nodded and took my leave from Marc.

Blake Evans was not dead after all.

Melissa didn't get any charges because it was an act of self defense, there were 7 stabs in his stomach, which also punctured his pancreas. The doctor said he will live though. I felt proud that Melissa fought back. She finally killed her demons.

I knocked on Mr. Matthews door. I entered as he said to come in.

"These are the reports of Melissa. She is recovering physically pretty well. Her coma is due to the shock of the events, which shouldn't prolong. But that's something you already know." The doctor said. I listened carefully, it was the same from the past one week.

"Is there something that I should know?" I asked, worried.

"This is about her response to psychotherapy. It seems like Melissa doesn't want to wake up."

My breathing halted as it seemed.

"What do you mean?"

"You understand very well what I mean, Rogan." He looked at me sternly. "She doesn't have the will to live anymore. Her body is recovering but not her mind. She has held on for too long. This is not just the repercussion of the incident, it is her experience from all these past years. Her miscarriages, rape, physical abuse, the pills... She is shutting down."

I rubbed my eyes, clearing the pooling water. "How can I bring her back? There has to be something. I'll do whatever treatment she requires."

"You know psychotherapy doesn't work like that. You have to give her hope, give her a reason to come back. Remember that any amount of love and care would not be enough in front of the pain that she has suffered." The doctor said. "It will take away a lot from you too."

"I will do anything to get her back."

_____________________*×*_____________________

This quarantine needs to get over.
Okay so, question time.

What dishes did you cook in this quarantine?

Me: learned to cook north Indian dishes, kebabs turned out the best. Baked a cake which turned out burnt.

Love,
Loren.