Chapter 34 - Warmth

Rogan's POV.

It was 2 in the morning and sleep had no time to visit. The night seemed to be very dull and gloomy. I walked up the stairs to my bedroom to finally call it a night.

Did she go off to sleep? She is getting thinner day by day. That woman eats so less and doesn't even take care of herself...

I entered my dark room and the sensor lights lit up. I stared at it. This is what my life looks like; Gray. Neither too dark and never too bright.

Knock knock.

Just as I  was going to change into my night clothes, someone knocked. I wrapped up my pants again and opened the door. It was Benzo.

"Sir, there's a car that we have traced in the alleyway behind the building. It seems suspicious." Benzo notified. He looked a bit stressed  but still calm enough. "I think we should look into it."

"Of course, lets go. What's the car number and how does it look?" I closed my door and followed him to the control room where all my bodyguards reside in the house.

As I entered, I saw that Drake, the new bodyguard was missing. "Where's Drake?" I asked turning towards Benzo and frowned.

"He was here when I left to call you." He looked around but Drake wasn't there. "Anyway, look at this." He pointed towards the screen and the CCTV footage showed a blurry dark car parked in the alleyway. "Look there, the number plate is missing. And the windows are tinted to the point of being illegal."

I stared at the screen and could see in a wrong lighting that a figure was seated inside in the backseat. Only the silhouette was recognizable, not the person.

Just then, a shrill scream sounded from upstairs.

And then another heart wrenching scream!

"Melissa!" I shouted and opened the door and ran! I know Benzo was just behind me barking orders.

"Seize all entrances! Quick! Over." Benzo ordered in the microphone.

"Melissa!" I rushed to open her door but it was jammed. Fortunately, Benzo came rushing with me and both of us broke the door down.

"Ma'am!"

The sight that graced me left me in utter distress. Melissa sat shivering on the floor, sweating profusely. She pointed towards the window curtains which was open and the wind rushed in, we could all feel the undistinguished presence of a person there. Benzo ran towards it.

I grabbed the robe and wrapped it around her. Just then her eyes closed and before her head could hit the floor I held her tightly in my arms. She fell unconscious. She was cold as ice and sweat drenched.

I picked her up and walked outside her room, heading towards mine. I saw Drake running out of the balcony probably listening to benzo's orders. I didn't mind him and simply shut the door of the room.

Benzo will handle the situation for now but Melissa needed me right now. Whatever happened was my fault, I didn't pay attention that my house wasn't safe for her.

I lay her in my bed and lit the bedside lamp. I got up and went to my bathroom, picked up some towels and hot water and wiped her forehead and sweat off of her body. I picked up some pyjamas and a t-shirt from my closet and changed her from the nightgown she was wearing.

Her eyes opened for a moment but then she drifted back to sleep again holding on to my hand tightly. I slipped off my slippers and lay down beside her. As if she could feel my move, she wrapped herself against my chest and breathed in deeply.

Her body so tiny and her face so drained. Tears leaked out of her closed eyes and my heart just broke into trillions of pieces just by looking at her so broken.

"I'm so scared...." She whispered.

I had no words, I couldn't protect her however much I tried. But I'll never let her get hurt again. I'll never let her fall. Now that I can be with her, I will give my all to have her beside me and protect her with all I have.

I hugged her even more close to make her feel safe and convincing myself that she will always be there beside me.

"I'm here..." I whispered in the gray air.

------------------

Melissa's POV.

My eyes felt so heavy just as my heart.

I inhaled a familiar kind of smell, embraced a familiar kind of warmth that made me feel like home. I tried to grab it even more tight, I just can't face another day if it slips away.

The sinking feeling that I had last night was nothing I would like to experience again. Right now, at this moment, this is the place I want to stay in forever.

The light was hitting my eyes and I eventually opened my eyes to see what was radiating that kind of warmth.

My eyes met with a hard she bare chest, apparently where my nose was snuggling in. My eyes widened and I moved my head a bit. Large hands and a gruff voice told me to stop.

"Where do you think you are going?" Rogan asked with eyes still closed. I couldn't reply, infact my first reaction to his question was up look inside the sheets.

He chuckled. "We just cuddled and slept. I think you broke my right arm in the process." I was relieved to see myself clothed at least, even though I wasn't wearing my own clothes. I sighed heavily.

I lay back down, so unimaginably physically exhausted. "I can't get up." I grumbled. I lay my hands on his stomach. I have no reason to be awkward now when I love his closeness, more like I need it.

"You don't have to. Go back to sleep, you look tired." He fingered my hair and I couldn't help but close my eyes. He brought himself closer to me and kissed my cheek and then my forehead before snuggling his face in my neck and going back to sleep.

When we woke up again, I was alone in the bed. The sun was shining bright and the birds were chirping. I got up and realized I was wearing Rogan's clothes. I didn't bother to take them off. I headed towards the door and walked towards mine.

I hate to go in that room, even the thought scares the shit out of me. But everything is there and I loved my room. And today was the charity event which   I have to prepare for.

The room gave me chills as I opened the door and coldness greeted me. I instinctly hugged myself and walked in barefoot. I picked up some clothes from the closet and went to take a bath. It was past 10:30 am. We will be leaving soon.

I took a very cold shower and bathed myself in luxurious perfumes to feel like me again but nothing worked. I sat down to apply make up but I couldn't focus.

So I decided and opened the medicine cabinet and took out my pills. Antidepressants.

They always help me, they always keep me in check. And today they are the only ones that I need.

I dropped four pills in my palms and swallowed it with water that was placed near the sitting area. The prescription says only one pill a day but I can't control the never ending fear that cages my whole being.

A share wave of nausea hit my head and I held on to the dressing table for a minute. The hit needs to surpass. My vision was a bit blurry and eyes swollen and dark. I'm going back to the dark side of my mind.

"Melissa."

____________________*×*_____________________

Hello guys.
I hope you are doing well.
Stay fit and happy winters. 😍
Read A LOVE LIKE THIS on the Dreame App.