Chapter 44 - Hatred

Rogan's POV

The Rose Garden of Evans Residence was not something out of the ordinary. It was a gift to Melissa from her mother for her wedding to Blake.

Mrs. Black believed that Roses watered a happy blooming relationship. She was obsessed with roses and the blood that drew out from the thorns when she experimented them on Melissa.

I never understood her intention, I thought that woman, Mrs. Black was a ruthless business woman and very intelligent but now I think I'm wrong.

I'm torn between the thought of her being a true enemy to her daughter who never wants to see her Happy or is she just too gullible... Can't she see her daughter's suffering?

Pete and I drove to the Rose Garden of Evans Residence as soon as we got the news about the dead bodyguard. We checked his belongings that the police found in the car, there was a single diamond earring that Melissa bought for herself a few days back. The police said they found it clutched in the victim's fist.

We weren't sure if he was involved in this kidnapping or not. They said it looked like a hit-and-run but it might not be so. We still had no clue about Maria the maid. Benzo was looking into that matter and he didn't come up with anything positive.

In between all this, Evangeline Black sorted out a new drama. She filed a complaint against me claiming I kept Mel with me against her will.

Pete was handling the issue with the lawyers while I stood with Mrs. Black in the Rose Garden. The longer this will take the longer Melissa will suffer in the hands of that psychopath. And at this very moment, I want to strangle Evangeline Black to death, with my bare hands. But I stood there composed with hands inside my pockets.

"Why don't you just leave her alone?" She asked.

"Why can't you just let her be happy?" I asked.

I know she probably had her reasons but whatever happened to Melissa was somehow because of this woman beside me.

"You know I have paid them to keep you out of my daughter's life. You can't do anything." She smirked shamelessly. She bribed the police and she doesn't even feel a bit of remorse admitting it. She is sick.

"Do you even know how Melissa was treated here?" I asked. I couldn't believe this woman was so cruel to her daughter. I was literally flabbergasted. "She is your daughter and you let her get treated like that?"

She looked far away in the woods, opened her bag and took out a cigarette and lit it.

"She should be glad that I mothered her and gave her a life of a princess. Look, she has everything. House, properties, money, jewelry, everything...." She took a puff and looked at me dead in the eyes. "I knew Blake was a bit crazy but his father helped me with my business once so I promised Melissa as a gift to his son. Not just that, I paid for all the luxuries she has now!" She laughed.

"He hits her, rapes her, she cannot conceive due to the miscarriages, she was sent to other men... She is your daughter. How could you let that happen to her?" I asked incredulously. I was trying to keep my shock at Bay and see why this woman was the way she is...

"She. Is. Not. My. Daughter." She said through gritted teeth. The amount of hostility this woman has inside her was spellbounding. "And it not rape when a husband wants to have sex with his wife and she never wanted to have children, Blake wanted them and she found a way to play victim and kill the babies. I know about it, Blake told me about it. She is a lying bitch." She snorted this time. "Like mother, like daughter.."

"What are you talking about?"

"Melissa is just the repercussion of my husband's infidelity with my sister." She lit a second cigarette and gave a cynical smile. "And then she had to go and live with you, cheat with you... Look, I do not have a problem with you, infact I admire you. You have worked hard and become successful. But why did you have to come back for her? She doesn't deserve it."