twenty-nine

Florence + The Machines
••• What Kind Of Man •••

to let me dangle at a cruel angle oh, my feet don't touch the floorsometimes you're half in and then you're half outbut you never close the door

oh, my feet don't touch the floor
sometimes you're half in and then you're half out
but you never close the door

•••••

  "Are you okay!?" Jay cried. He barrelled into me for a hug before flinching back when he noticed how cold my wet hoodie was. "Gosh-! You're freezing!"

  He faltered for a second as Kai stormed past us. Bewildered, he watched the silent fire ninja stomp by the whole team and enter the Bounty. The look Jay sent me was a silent request for elaboration, but I didn't think I could get even a word past my chattering teeth.

  The sword slipped from my fingers, and my gasp for the weapon I'd risked my life for was delayed. Nya caught it before it could fall.

  "We need to get you inside," Zane said quickly, and scooped my frozen body into his arms. I was so dazed by cold and the belated shock of facing Morro and seeing Lloyd that it didn't even startle me. "You are already suffering from frostnip. It won't be long until you are under severe frostbite." He started across the unstable snow with hurried ease. "Cole, Jay, run ahead and fill as many hot water bottles as you can find. Nya, do you have some warm clothes you can lend?"

  They ran off at Zane's orders.

  I was so cold that even he felt warm. I pressed my cheek into his jacket and flinched at the painful tingling of my skin. My adrenaline had well and truly faded, and now I was suffering from the chill it didn't let me feel before.

  The inside of the bounty was so warm it almost hurt. Zane's pace was quick and sure, and the padding of another pair of feet was distantly recognisable as Misako. Aside from Ronin and I, she was the only other person who didn't walk completely silently.

  We stopped inside my temporary bedroom. Zane carefully set me on the bed and quickly stripped my shoes and socks, and I gasped at how cold my feet felt now that they weren't numb to the freezing material. The hoodie was tugged over my head, and my damp shirt and shorts followed. Misako dragged the duvet around my shivering body for privacy and warmth.

  "Are you able to move your fingers and toes?" Zane asked. I tested their mobility and nodded when they stiffly curled at my request. "Good."

  "Warm clothes, comin' through," Nya exclaimed, and dumped a pile of polar fleeces, sweats and long sleeve tops beside me.

  Shortly after I was bundled up tightly, still shuddering, but at least I was dry. The three water bottles Jay and Cole had found and filled sat in the blanket with me. It was a weird feeling to be toasty and still shivering at the same time. It was like I was in the throes of a fever.