thirty-nine

Siouxsie and the Banshees
••• Cities In Dust •••

water was running, children were runningyou were running out of timeunder the mountain, a golden fountainwere you praying at the lares' shrine?

you were running out of time
under the mountain, a golden fountain
were you praying at the lares' shrine?

•••••

ok so in the 2020 version this chapter was supposed to also end in a cliffhanger (what was going on with 2020 me?) but i decided to not do that this time. anyway ur welcome

TW: death?, blood, faint gore, vomit 

  The Preeminent rose to new heights, latching her tentacles around the houses her army of ghosts sacrificed to her. My neck kept craning back and back as she was built higher until she touched the ick-coloured clouds.

  I felt the equivalent of an ant cowering beneath her shadow. Defeating the Preeminent already seemed impossible before, but how were we meant to stop her when she was like this? She was a mythical thing, a beast of horrors. We were specks in comparison. Even the hole that Lloyd had burst through her side during his escape was starting to knit itself back together.

  I raised my arms to defend the ship and staggered, my legs gooey with the fatigue that had finally claimed me. I stumbled against Dad's side and whimpered. He wrapped his arm around me tight to pull me back from the railing.

  "That's enough hero-ing for one day," Dad said as he sat me down beside a pair of startled kids. "You need to take a break."

  "But I'm only-"

  "You're as stubborn as your mother," Dad said, and plucked the water gun from my loose grip. I reached for it limply, before grunting when he fished out a packet of saline wipes and began cleaning the blood from my face. "Jesus, Y/n, look at you. This is why I don't want you hanging around with the ninja."

  "Everyone's a critic," I muttered.

  "I am when you look like you should be auditioning for the next Carrie remake."

  Ouch. But also fair. I caught my reflection in one of the windows of the boat and agreed that I looked like an extra for some gorey horror movie. I hoped I didn't give the kids beside me nightmares. I also hoped that they didn't think I was the Green Ninja despite me wearing his gi.

  ... actually, that raised an entirely new world of problems. What did Lloyd say when Chen found out about him? Something about them having safety measures in place? I hoped it could work on an entire village, because I was pretty sure half of them had seen at least one of our faces by now.