forty-three

Albert Hammond Jr

••• Set to Attack •••

there is a need to feel safehow do we get to this place?with eyes on my back, i'm set to attacki've come to take your hand

how do we get to this place?
with eyes on my back, i'm set to attack
i've come to take your hand

•••••

TW: stalking, mentions of: murder, vomit & assault

  I stared at Chen. The world swayed beneath my feet as if I were stood on a thin raft in the centre of the ocean. Or perhaps it was simply the weakness of my legs, that the earth was solid but I was evaporating. 

  I was the target. Axon wanted to kill me.

  Beside me, Lloyd was far gone. The front he wore wasn't just the Green Ninja - he'd become something dark and terrible, a beast that had been poked and had unsheathed his claws in threat. His hand snatched at the front of Chen's shirt and yanked him close, low, so that he towered over the poor boy with the wrath of an Oni. He could handle with his own life being targeted, but not mine.

  "What did you say?" Lloyd's words were seething with malice and the sharp cuts of silver blades. It almost sliced me from my cocoon of shock that had wrapped me up tight.

  Chen lifted his hands in surrender as if frightened for his life. At the mercy of the dangerous glint in Lloyd's eyes, I couldn't blame him for thinking such things. "That's what he told me!"

  Lloyd released him with a shove and spat a curse that could've shaken the entire world had he the power. The cocoon of shock had slithered inside my mouth and down my throat, tangling, knotting. My fear was choking me. The world swayed and swayed.

  Staggering to keep his balance, Chen looked up at him with a gaze spilling terror. Perhaps, imbued with the rage he was lost in, Lloyd more resembled the son of Lord Garmadon than Sensei.

  "What are you going to do?" he asked.

  "Something he'll regret," Lloyd hissed.  

  My dazed eyes turned to him. His expression had twisted into something unfamiliar and cold, his face one of enmity. He looked angry in a way that was otherworldly.

  I think it became clear to me, in that moment and beyond my fear, who Lloyd really was. How long his potential laid before him in intersecting crossroads. Who he could become. Why he hid so much of himself away from me.