thirty-six

Vundabar
••• Smile Boyo •••

folks are irrationalkids are all animalstruth's only shadows from fire cast onto walls

kids are all animals
truth's only shadows from fire cast onto walls

•••••

TW: guns

  The Mistress of Amber peeked around the corner of the alleyway wall she'd pressed her back upon. Her sharp gaze followed the figure of the man she'd been following for the past day-and-a-half.

  Beside her stood Neuro, the Master of the Mind. His yellow eyes narrowed at the man Skylor had called on him to help apprehend. It'd been a while since the last time they'd spoken - the brief relapse of the Anacondri battle heralded by Skylor's own father - but when she'd told him who she was tasked to track down, he couldn't refuse.

  A tumultuous feeling cascaded through him like a hoard of red ants. They stung and stung him, filling him with poison. It tasted sharp and bitter. It tasted of betrayal.

  "Is it him?" Skylor whispered, pulling Neuro from his darkening thoughts.

  "That is most certainly Axon," he muttered bitterly. The last time he'd seen his brother was centuries ago, right before he'd died; or so he'd caused everyone to think. Neuro couldn't believe that his own little brother had pulled the wool over even his eyes.

  Then again, Axon had always been the one with more talent. But with that, he was cruel and meddlesome, too. He wasn't deserving of the powers he abused.

  "This is ridiculous," Skylor muttered. She pulled out a small phone from her thigh pack and quickly tapped the keypad without pulling her eyes from Axon. "All this time and he's been right under our nose."

  Neuro sighed. If Skylor felt the fool, then Nuero thought as though he were the entire circus. She was only nineteen years of age, and only two years of being part of the Elemental Master's society and of understanding their history. Neuro had been tricked for almost three hundred years.

  Still, he was silently relieved that he wasn't on the receiving end of Skylor's amber glare. Her eyes could cut through stone.

  "It's not your fault," Neuro said in a hushed voice. "Axon had devoted himself into developing his powers for decades before he disappeared. It would take another Master of the Mind to find his hideout." He sighed again. "And his cloak is impeccably well done, I hate to admit."