forty-five

BRONCHO
••• Class Historian •••

gentlemen, i'm doing greatdoing well is pretty vague

doing well is pretty vague

•••••

  After Lloyd brushed his teeth five times and then another six, he joined me in his bedroom.

  I lounged on his bed, reading a Starfarer comic from his collection with my feet in the air. Nya's cotton pyjamas were infinitely cozy after an evening in the cold rain. Lloyd settled on the bed beside me, lying on his back with a sigh. I glanced up at him as I turned the page before returning to the illustrations.

  His silence reigned. I peeked up again at where he stared at the ceiling with a laden gaze. He'd taken a shower, too. He couldn't have cleansed himself more of Axon if he tried.

  "Do you feel a little better?" I cautiously asked.

  Lloyd inhaled deeply and exhaled slow. "Not really," he confessed. It wasn't surprising. 

  I placed the comic at the foot of the bed and shuffled until I laid alongside him. I traced the contours of his face with a fingertip. I couldn't get the image of his contorted transformation out of my head - the tusks, the horns, the talons, the purple eyes. It was curious and fascinating and the fact-gatherer inside of me was left with a gazillion questions I couldn't ask.

  "Do you want to talk about it?" It was the only acceptable one.

  "No," Lloyd mumbled, before sighing. "Not yet." His green eyes turned to me. "Are you okay?"

  I tucked my forehead into his shoulder. "I'll be alright." I'd have more nightmares undoubtedly, but that was nothing new. Morro had already infected my sleep. Axon was nothing new.

  Lloyd sighed at my answer. "Sorry for being such a mess."

  I sat up and leant my weight on my hand. He avoided my tender gaze. "Everyone's a little messy, Lloyd. Nobody's perfect, not even the Green Ninja - and I bet Uchū wasn't, either." I lifted my eyes to the ceiling. "No offence, Grandpa God."

  "Not like this." Lloyd cracked a half-smile that he didn't really mean. "I should've given you a warning back before I asked you on a date."

  "I would've appreciated the gesture but ignored it," I said. He huffed at my quick dismissal and leant his cheek into where I placed my palm. "We'll figure this out, hero. You don't have to deal with it alone."