twenty-five

The Cure
••• Lullaby •••

on candystripe legs, the spiderman comessoftly through the shadow of the evenin' sunstealin' past the windows of the blissfully deadlooking for the victim shivering in bed

softly through the shadow of the evenin' sun
stealin' past the windows of the blissfully dead
looking for the victim shivering in bed

•••••

i didn't proofread this lol sorry if theres any mistakes

  Base had been set up where the Bounty had made its unscheduled landing, sitting lopsided in the trees with half of its hull missing and the masts snapped in two.

  Misako poured over a piece of parchment before a small fire with Dimitri beside her, both with faces of utmost concentration. The rest of the monks had taken to lugging the broken-off pieces of the ship into a large pile. Atop the fire and occasionally stirred by Dimitri was a pot of noodles.

  "Not too much vigour," Zane said as he hurried over to the fire. "You must stir gently, as if stroking a duckling's head."

  Dimitri raised his palms and allowed the perfectionist to take the mantle of making breakfast. His gaze turned to me, limping my way after Zane, and he smiled with relieved greeting.

  "Y/n." He stood from his seat on one of the snapped-off mast tops and offered it to me. I took it gratefully and held my hands before the fire. "It is a relief to see you well."

  Misako only looked up when I sat beside her, stirred from her razor-sharp concentration. She looked awful - even more frazzled than usual - and the blank look of her exhausted eyes lingered for a moment too long before they brightened with recognition. She flung her arms around me tightly.

  "Y/n! You had us all worried sick!" Parchment briefly forgotten, she fussed over the scratches on my face. "I'm so glad you're alright-"

  Misako faltered upon noticing the bruise around my neck, and then her face paled. Her brown eyes lifted to mine with a softness that made my throat tighten and eyes sting.

  "Oh, sweetheart," she sighed. "You must've been through hell."

  Have I even left it yet? It still felt like I was still in the depths of it; crawling my way through the ninth layer, stuck in a torture that stole Lloyd away from me and dangled him before my eyes. No, I didn't think I'd left yet.

  I didn't want to dwell on my tussle with the possessed boy whom I'd told I was in love with. Even that made my head spin. It made my throat ache in reminder.