forty-six

Caravan Palace
••• Moonshine •••

how can i even knowwhat lies ahead if i don't go?i see a chance, i take it slowand i know i just can't leave these things behind

how can i even know
what lies ahead if i don't go?
i see a chance, i take it slow
and i know i just can't leave these things behind

•••••

TW: mentions of death & guns

I bumped into Naomi at interval, the twenty minute morning tea break we had before our midday classes. I'd just come out of economics, a stream I sadly shared with none of my friends, and had found Lloyd waiting for me in the hallway.

"Y/n!" Naomi swept into my arms with a giddy shout that startled the group of girls beside us. Lloyd stood behind me, uncharacteristically solemn and silent. "Ahh! I'm so stoked you're here! Are you settling in?"

I grinned and nodded. I was settling in fine, if it weren't for the stares and the murmurs. I definitely wasn't going to get lost again - Lloyd had already memorised my schedule and insisted he'd walk me between classes.

A bit much? Maybe. Totally romantic and making me swoon? Entirely. It was the easiest 'yes, please' I'd ever made.

"Doing okay?" Naomi asked Lloyd and I with a serious frown. "People aren't giving you too much shit? I'll kick 'em."

Lloyd smiled small at her offer. "Nothing too bad."

Nothing too bad in comparison to what he'd been through before, maybe, but the resigned look on his face was enough to make me upset. I couldn't hear what the murmurers were saying but Lloyd didn't have that luxury. He was hearing every cruel whisper said about us.

But this was high school. We couldn't fight our way out of this one. Lloyd was too good of a person for that and I needed a perfect record to get into a good university. The urge to throw hands in his honour still wasn't lost on me.

"Let's check if we're in any of the same classes," I said, changing the subject. Naomi and I compared timetables and were very pleased to find we had English together. The only class I shared with Lloyd was art.

"By the way, have you seen Cole?" Naomi asked. She's forgone her terrible attempts to hide her massive crush in front of Lloyd and I - she was well aware that we knew. "I've been trying to find him all morning."

My heart crashed to my feet. I didn't get a chance to tell her before school started. I needed to - the longer I kept it from her, the worse of a friend I was being. Naomi deserved better than that.