thirty-eight

Hayley Williams
••• Simmer •••

rage is a quiet thingwell, you think that you tamed it but it's just lying in wait rage, is it in my veins? feel it in my face whenwhen i least expect it

well, you think that you tamed it
but it's just lying in wait
rage, is it in my veins?
feel it in my face when
when i least expect it

•••••

' To my wonderful readers: sorry that the last cliffhanger was even worse than the one before it. Well, no, not really. HAHAHAHA. But seriously, I love you guys' - Sam, 2024

TW: death, graphic imagery, blood, magical self-harm (?)

  I knelt beneath the gate of hell and found myself unable to cry.

  I was too numb. I stared at the writhing, feeling tentacles of whatever ginormous, biblical beast lay beyond the rift, but all I could see was Lloyd - Lloyd, who'd known this would happen and refused to drag me in with him. Lloyd, who struggled for release even in his last moments. Lloyd with his eyes coloured maroon, pinned on mine until they weren't.

  He had been taken from me again. Why did I keep failing him?

  "Yes," Morro said breathily in shock, and then he laughed loud with manic triumph. "Yes! He's finally gone!"

  It wasn't his shout of glee that shook me from my broken stupor, nor was it the low, reverberating rumble of the creature that shivered along my skin and made my hair stand on end - but it was the strange feeling that had infected me ever since we arrived at Stiix, the one which had been slowly getting worse. It burst with a pain so magnificent and holy that I could do nothing but keel over and scream.

  I was sure I was dying. It felt as though my veins had been stripped one-by-one from my body, that I was being picked apart cell-by-cell, and I writhed beneath this sudden torture. Putting a chainsaw to my skull would hurt less than the balloon of pain that had taken hold behind my eyes, and my throat was being flayed by my wails of agony. All the while, the creature forced its way into the realm of Ninjago.

  It was inhumane, what I was feeling. An infliction from within and no wounds to show for it, like I was slowly being unwound from the very knot in the centre of my being. The pain was only rivalled by the loss of Lloyd.

  A hand on my shoulder yanked me back just as a tentacle slammed down onto the floor before me, searching. Kai picked up my listless body and booked it from the rift and the creature feeling its way through, and I was urged back through the hole in the wall we'd created. We were joined by the other ninja behind the shelter of a house still standing.