twenty-one

Metro Boomin
••• Hummingbird •••

and hummingbird, i can never unseewhat you've shown mestay on, stay on with me

and hummingbird,
i can never unsee
what you've shown me
stay on, stay on with me

•••••

The calm before the storm

Tw: deep water/ocean 

White sails swept through the gentle breeze, creating a cacophony of ripples. They towered taller than even the trees surrounding the grounded ship. I stared at the Bounty with eyes wide in shock.

It was the morning before New Years and the team - aside from Lloyd - were setting up the Destiny's Bounty for the trip away while the rest of the team conducted patrol. After much convincing, begging and assuring my mother that Lloyd and I would be sleeping in separate rooms, I was finally allowed to go.

It felt a little strange to be dropped off by my mother at Lloyd's home without him even being around. He had some kind of training thing on for the morning. And then standing in front of a ship like the Bounty... if my head was a screw, it would fall right off by how much it was spinning.

"Explain the physics as to how this thing can fly, again?" I muttered, leaning towards Nya as she passed by with her overnight bag. She chuckled and patted my shoulder as she walked, though did not stop for the elaboration I requested. I turned to her brother tailing her instead.

Kai dropped his duffel bag at his feet - red, of course, because who are the ninja if they're not colour-coordinated - and stretched his arms over his head. He gazed up the Bounty and squinted against the glare of the sun peeking from behind its mast.

"It's Jay's baby," Kai answered. "Nya helps him out with upkeep, and Zane assisted with the schematics, but Jay's the big brain behind this thing." The master of fire lowered his voice and dropped his volume. "But if you ask him how he did it, you'll never escape."

That didn't scare me. I was scared of a lot of things, but learning was never one of them. Neither was Jay's unchecked enthusiasm. But the look Kai gave me - that look made me feel like I should've been afraid. That was a man with personal experience.

"Where's Lloyd?" I asked instead of opening that can of worms. I glanced around awkwardly, as if he'd pop out from behind a tree and shout 'gotcha!' "It's kinda weird being here without him."

Kai frowned. "Am I not good enough company? I'm hurt."

"No! No, I- I just-" My stuttering ceased when he broke into a chuckle and flicked my shoulder. My cheeks flamed with embarrassment.