8. Stuck In A Mess

ELLIOT

ELLIOT

"Here's the phone? You can go talk to your mom in your dorm and deliver it back here once you're done," Mrs. Wilson said, giving a cell phone to me with a smile on her face.

In between all the classes and studying, I had finally found the time to call mom. I had been restless all day by wondering how she was doing. I hoped she and Elizabeth spent the evenings together. I really hated thinking about the fact that mom sat by herself in the apartment.

"Thank you so much," I said, taking the phone in my hand and hurrying towards the door to her office.

"Elliot?"

I turned around to meet Mrs Wilson's gaze. She sat behind her desk with her hands folded together.

"I want you and Rachel to start studying in your dorm instead of the library," she informed.

Confused, I furrowed my brows.

"I walked passed the library once where you two were studying on the first floor. Many students were talking and whispering about you. I don't want Rachel to feel uncomfortable while studying with you," she explained.

"But don't you think the others students will react more if she comes to my dorm...?" I questioned, carefully.

"Don't worry, I'll take care of that," she assured, softly.

Still feeling the slightest of weirded out, I gently nodded.

"Thank you. Elliot," she said while I exited the room and headed to my dorm.

On my way, a sudden thought hit me.
Rachel's scars on her wrists showed up in my mind, leading shivers to run down my spine.

Lack of motivation. Suicidal thoughts. Self-harm. Study in the evenings. Have her in my room.

"No way," I whispered, running my both hands through my hair of unexpected realization.

My heart pounded of shock and my palms felt sweaty of sudden anxiousness. As my next words left my mouth, I was left breathless.

"I'm on suicide watch."

After dialing mom's number, I held the phone to my ear while lying in my bed.

"Hello?"

My heart stopped by hearing a familiar soft voice over the speaker. A voice so soft and soothing, it made all my problems vanish into thin air the minute it reached to me.