16. Milkshake Logics

ELLIOT

ELLIOT

It had been three days since Will and Rachel's break up and the whole school knew about it. I wasn't not sure about Will because I hadn't seen him around much, but Rachel had been extremely down the past three days we had studied together. She never yelled at me anymore and basically didn't talk at all. She studied with an emotionless expression, only nodding or shaking her head in reply to my questions.

I was currently reading on the couch in the library when a familiar voice made me look up from my book and I meet a pair of sky blue eyes.

"Aren't you suppose to be tutoring Rachel?" Will questioned, looking at me with an inquiring expression.

Dressed in grey sweatpants and a white t-shirt, he stood before me in an exhausted state with dark circles under his eyes and a heartbroken expression. Sadness all over his face and eyes and he basically looked like a love sick puppy.

"I waited a whole hour, but she never showed up," I replied, flatly.

He sighed and bumps his fist against mine before plopping down next to me on the couch.

"That wasn't the old Rachel. She always showed up to everything on time. Too early but never too late," he informed, throwing his head back and gently massaging his temples while his eyes close.

"What happened between you two anyway?" I asked, gently.

For a brief moment, Will froze. I expected him to reject the question, but surprisingly he opened his eyes and looked at me with a sad smile.

"Well, when Rachel returned after being absent from school for three whole weeks, everyone had found out about her parents death on the 1st September of 2017. They were pretty rich and well known in the country so the news spread fast in the media. I knew she was still heartbroken so I went to her dorm the same evening she returned. I found her in her bathroom with wrists cut and her body shaking badly in the pond of blood. Her first suicide attempt. And I," he paused, tightening his fists and holding the tears back.

So her parents died on the 1st September of 2017. But there was something else. It had to be.

"And you?" My voice was quiet and gentle.

"And I just fled. I ran away," he whispered tightly through a clenched jaw.

He left her. I sat in complete silence while my stomach twisted and I swallowed hard as he continued.

"I didn't understand what was happening nor did Rachel when she cut herself. Anyway, Skylar was the one who happened to pass by and saw the blood on the floor in her dorm. She saved Rachel," he added while I was still trying to proceed his earlier words in my mind.