11. Symbols & Secrets

ELLIOT

ELLIOT

I didn't realize when we had climbed down the school building and were running on a small path into a forest.
What the hell was I doing? Sneaking out with the school's bad girl?

I was so getting suspended this time. I had a gut feeling. And we all knew how right my gut feeling always was.

"Are you wearing a gown, Cinderella?" Rachel threw teasing words behind her shoulder as she was a few steps ahead of me.

I rolled my eyes and pushed a harder pace, catching up to her. It was almost as if we were fleeing from a prison. Was this a break out or something? I actually liked the prison I was fleeing from.

"Well it's hard to keep up with snakes. Especially red haired ones," I mumbled, running next to her while breathing heavily.

Rachel shoot me a threatening look, but I just grinned back. As we finally ran out of forest and started walking down the street, I ran my hands through my hair while catching my breath. 

"Do you even know where we're going?" I asked, my breath hoarse and my heartbeat unexpectedly fast.

After letting out a deep breath, Rachel tucked her curls behind her ears. "Of course. I do this everyday."

"What? You sneak out every night just to eat pizza, not giving a single thought about getting caught and suspended?" I asked, both flustered and astonished.

"First of all, I don't sneak out just for pizza. Only on fridays. The rest of the days, I just do it to take a break from that hell. Secondly, I've been doing this the last four months. Haven't been caught and won't get caught," she replied, flatly.

I wonder which hell she was talking about. The school or the one in her head.

I sighed, tucking my both hands in the pocket of my hoodie, where my fingers wrapped around Rachel's blue pen. Admiring the silence as we walked next to each other, I looked up at the starry sky and the big bright moon.

"Why do you like to draw little suns, stars and moons on your hands?" I blurted out the question, unprepared.

While walking next to me, Rachel smiled as she gazed up the sky. Their sparkle reflected in her eyes and I swear the fracture in her eyes vanished just for a moment.

"They don't just symbolize one thing. They can symbolize whatever you want them to symbolize," she replied.

I looked up at the sky. I never really thought about that. "What do they symbolize to you?" I asked, softly.