19. Grades & Tattoos

RACHEL

RACHEL

One week later, I was left in shock when I saw an A on my history paper, which Mr Louis gave to me with a bright smile on his face before moving on to the next row.

I was literally left both speechless and astonished. Was this a dream? What if someone pinched me and I saw an F on the paper? However, no matter how many times I tried to pinch myself and blink my eyes, the A remained permanently on my paper.

When I broke out of my daze, I realized I must show this to Elliot. He was going to be so happy and proud of me. With that thought, I rapidly grabbed my books with the history paper, leaped off the chair and ran out of the classroom exactly when the bell rung.

After sprinting into the classroom Elliot was having math in, I squeezed through the crowd of students who were exiting the room and approached Elliot who was gathering his books, still in his seat.

Grinning widely of excitement, I sat down across from him and placed my history paper with a glowing red A on it before him on his desk. It took a second before Elliot's gaze transferred from his books to my paper.

And then when Elliot's brown admiring eyes widened to an extend that they might just have fallen out of his face and his jaw dropped of extreme shock, I folded my hands together on the desk while the wide grin didn't fade from my face.

"Careful now. Don't want any flies to get stuck in your throat," I said, placing my finger under his chin and lifting it so his mouth closed.

When I withdrew my hand, his jaw dropped again, leading me to burst out laughing, my stomach tickling. To make him stop staring at the paper with immense astonishment and to break him out of his daze, I smacked his arm.

"Breathe!" I said, laughing.

"Wow!" He breathed, finally.

Dumbfounded, he lifted his gaze from the paper and met my gaze. "Rachel. Are you sure this is yours?" 

I grinned, placed my palm under my cheek and looked at him with an amused smile printed on my face. My face hurt of smiling so widely.

"It's mine, shithead. Look at the A as long as you want. It will never fade," I informed, proudly.

"Well done, redhead snake. I knew you could do it," he admitted, smiling.

My smile faded as surprise touched me with a hint of joy.

"Really?" I asked with hopeful eyes.