21. Tearful Words

ELLIOT

ELLIOT

"I can't believe you are already leaving," I said, frowning.

Mom smiled softly, but I knew she was hurting on the inside as well. The weekend had flied by so fast and it was already Monday morning and mom was leaving.

Rachel and I were standing outside of the school gate with mom, waiting for her taxi to arrive and saying our final goodbyes. For now. Other than that, it would never be goodbyes between me and mom.

Mom was standing before me with her hands in mine while I continued to frown like the saddest kid in the world.

"I wish you could've stayed longer," I said, sadly.

"I wish for that too, but parents are only allowed to visit on the weekends, but I have to get back to work anyway. I can't lose this job. You know that right?" She said, moving her hand up to stroke my cheek.

I nod and pulled her into a tight hug. In my embrace, she felt so small and vulnerable, but she was actually the strongest woman in the whole wide world. I wasn't just saying that because she was my mom, but because it was the truth. After what he did to her, she broke twice and I know she was still healing. Nevertheless, she was still so, so strong, brave, courageous, tough and amazing.

I think Rachel, after spending the weekend with her, had learned that as well about mom. However, I wondered how she would react when she found out what happened to mom. What was the real reason behind her strength. How would she react when she discovered how I was born?

I was suddenly pulled out of my thoughts when, mom drew back and stood on her tippy toes to place a soft kiss on my forehead.

Afterwards, she turned to Rachel, who was also frowning. Today, her hair was beautifully braided by mom. Her white shorts that showed off her skinny and slightly pale legs, were in contrast to her dark blue, knitted sweater.

"I am really going to miss you, Rachel," mom admitted, her voice so soft and gentle.

"Me too," Rachel whispered when mom took Rachel's hands in hers.

"I can't believe we watched so many fairytales together this weekend," mom admitted, grinning crookedly.

"I know. It was a lot of fun though. It's been around 6 months since the last time I saw one. Thank you for letting me spend time and get to know you."

A warm smile formed itself on mom's face of Rachel's confession. She reached her hand out to place it on Rachel's cheek, making Rachel smile.