45. Last Goodbyes

ELLIOT

ELLIOT

By the time I pushed the door to Rachel's dorm open and walked across the room to put her down in her bed, the heavy rain had stopped.

Mrs Wilson, Mr Louis, mom, Madelaine, Skylar, Vici and Will followed me inside, still worried sick.

"She's soaked and so cold," Mrs Wilson said, sitting down on the edge of the bed and stroking her pale cheek, worriedly.

"I think she needs to change her clothes. We can wrap her in some warm blankets afterwards," Madelaine said with a pale face. She made her way to Rachel's closet and started to take out some warm blankets and clothes for her best friend.

I tried to peel my gaze off the fast asleep Rachel. Her face was extremely pale and her fingers were trembling. The more I looked at her, the more did it hurt. The more did my heart hurt.

I needed to go.

I needed to leave.

For good this time.

Even though Rachel would always have a special place in my heart, I never had a special place in hers. I knew she cared about me, but not enough to stop her from ending her life.

"Elliot?" Mom's concerned voice detached me from my thoughts. I glanced at her. A frown was stitched on her face.

"Mom, Mrs Wilson, can I talk to you two in private? It's important," I said. I left the room before they could reply.

~

"You want to leave this school? But why? Why now when it's less than two months left till graduation?" Mrs Wilson asked equally confused as mom.

We were currently sitting in Mrs Wilson's office, mom and I next to each other and Mrs Wilson across from us, behind her desk. I told them what Rachel said to me in the playground and their faces had turned pale as disappointment and sorrow broke across their faces.

Through the massive wall of glass behind Mrs Wilson, I could see the starry sky and the bright moon illuminating the darkness. I wish someone or something could illuminate the darkness inside of Rachel.

"Elliot, dear, are you sure about this?"  Mom asked, her hand resting over mine in my lap.

I sighed, clenching my jaw. "We all know Rachel is not changing her mind. I am in love with her. And I can't attend her funeral. You guys can pull your shit together and attend it, but I can't. I'm emotional, weak, pathetic and I cry more than a guy should cry. I can't handle this."