22. One Minute Death

RACHEL

RACHEL

The last time I was at the hospital for something else than attempting to kill myself, was when mom and dad died on that dreadful day.

Up until that day, I had always hated hospitals. When I was a kid, I looked at hospitals as a maze, because the building was so massive with several ways to head into. You either made it out or you were stuck there forever. But when my parents took their last breath in this building, I realized you either got cured or died. It was definitely a maze. A maze of life or death.

And here I was, once again, seated next to a broken Elliot, lost in a daze he couldn't and didn't want to be snapped out of. Thus, I didn't even lay a finger on him since we reached the hospital.
He could burst into anger or even cry.

Elliot was an emotional type. He was hurt, but he didn't hide behind a bold face, anger, nor was he the guy who never let his guard down. He wasn't that type of guy. He hid his pain and past behind a goofy grin, stupid jokes and some pathetic flirting.

He was emotionally scarred. However, I didn't know what the cause of that was. He seemed to have moved on, but the past would never stop running after you. Not even after Elliot Waters.

"Rachel!" aunt Bella's voice cut through my thoughts and I quickly got up from my seat.

I found aunt Bella running through the same corridor in the same way she ran towards me with the same blue, panicked face as she did the night of 1st September 2017.

No. This night couldn't end the same way. I couldn't lose another person I loved. I was so tired of that.

"Rachel, hey," she whispered, breathlessly as she moved her hand to hold mine.

"A friend of Elliot's mom, her neighbor called and informed me about what happened."

I nodded, my hand trembling in aunt Bella's. When she noticed, she looked down at it before lifting her gaze to meet mine.

She had a white simple dress on and a baggy grey cardigan hanging on her body while her glasses were shoved up to her head, her hair pulled into a loose and quick bun and concern was displayed all over her face.

"Are you okay?" She asked, studying my face carefully.

"I really liked her," I replied, quietly, yet truthfully.

And I really did. Watching movies with her and sharing a laugh together, her braiding my hair like mom used to and just being able to talk be my old self with her was an enjoyable time for me that I hadn't experienced for a long time. She made me...happy.